How Does Snell's Law Predict Light Behavior Across Multiple Layers?

In summary, the light is incident at an angle of 40.1 degrees on a boundary between two transparent materials. Using Snell's law of refraction, the value of {\theta}_{5} in the air is approximately 56.9 degrees. To calculate the angle {\theta}_{4} in the bottom material, Snell's law needs to be applied for each material the ray passes through. This will give an incident angle of 33.1 degrees between the n2 and n3 layers. Further calculations can be done using this information.
connormcole
View attachment 4486

In the attached figure, light is incident at angle \(\displaystyle {\theta}_{1} = 40.1^{\circ}\) on a boundary between two transparent materials. Some of the light travels down through the next three layers of transparent materials, while some of it reflects upward and then escapes into the air. If \(\displaystyle {n}_{1} = 1.30\), \(\displaystyle {n}_{2} = 1.40\), \(\displaystyle {n}_{3} = 1.32\), and \(\displaystyle {n}_{4} = 1.45\), what is the value of (a) \(\displaystyle {\theta}_{5}\) in the air and (b) \(\displaystyle {\theta}_{4}\) in the bottom material?

I understand the concept at work here is Snell's law of refraction. I know that to calculate the angle \(\displaystyle {\theta}_{5}\) you start with \(\displaystyle {n}_{air}\sin\left({{\theta}_{5}}\right) = {n}_{1}\sin\left({{\theta}_{1}}\right)\), then simplify to \(\displaystyle {\theta}_{5} = \arcsin\left({\frac{{n}_{1}}{{n}_{air}}\sin\left({{\theta}_{1}}\right)}\right)\), \(\displaystyle \approx 56.9^{\circ}\).

I'm not sure where to go from here though as this concept is still relatively new to me. Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0086.JPG
    IMG_0086.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 59
Mathematics news on Phys.org
connormcole said:
In the attached figure, light is incident at angle \(\displaystyle {\theta}_{1} = 40.1^{\circ}\) on a boundary between two transparent materials. Some of the light travels down through the next three layers of transparent materials, while some of it reflects upward and then escapes into the air. If \(\displaystyle {n}_{1} = 1.30\), \(\displaystyle {n}_{2} = 1.40\), \(\displaystyle {n}_{3} = 1.32\), and \(\displaystyle {n}_{4} = 1.45\), what is the value of (a) \(\displaystyle {\theta}_{5}\) in the air and (b) \(\displaystyle {\theta}_{4}\) in the bottom material?

I understand the concept at work here is Snell's law of refraction. I know that to calculate the angle \(\displaystyle {\theta}_{5}\) you start with \(\displaystyle {n}_{air}\sin\left({{\theta}_{5}}\right) = {n}_{1}\sin\left({{\theta}_{1}}\right)\), then simplify to \(\displaystyle {\theta}_{5} = \arcsin\left({\frac{{n}_{1}}{{n}_{air}}\sin\left({{\theta}_{1}}\right)}\right)\), \(\displaystyle \approx 56.9^{\circ}\).

I'm not sure where to go from here though as this concept is still relatively new to me. Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.
You need to do Snell's Law for each of the materials the ray is passing through. For example, your angle of 56.9 degrees gives you an incident angle of 90 - 56.9 = 33.1 degrees for the angle of incidence between the n2 and n3 layers.

-Dan

Related to How Does Snell's Law Predict Light Behavior Across Multiple Layers?

1. What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of energy that is created by the movement of electrically charged particles. These waves are characterized by their frequency, wavelength, and amplitude, and they can travel through a vacuum at the speed of light.

2. How do electromagnetic waves differ from other types of waves?

Electromagnetic waves are unique in that they do not require a medium to travel through, unlike sound waves or water waves. They can also travel at the speed of light, making them the fastest type of wave.

3. What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all types of electromagnetic waves, including radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. These waves have different frequencies and wavelengths and can be used for different purposes, such as communication, heating, and medical imaging.

4. How are electromagnetic waves used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic waves have numerous applications in everyday life. Radio waves are used for broadcasting and communication, microwaves are used for cooking and radar technology, infrared radiation is used for thermal imaging and remote controls, visible light allows us to see, and X-rays and gamma rays are used for medical imaging and cancer treatment.

5. What are the potential dangers of electromagnetic waves?

While electromagnetic waves have many important uses, they can also pose potential dangers. Exposure to high levels of certain types of electromagnetic waves, such as X-rays and gamma rays, can be harmful to our health and can cause radiation sickness or even cancer. It is important to follow safety guidelines and limit exposure to these types of waves.