How does the direction of a coil antenna affect its directivity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the directivity of ferrite core coil antennas. The person is having trouble understanding why the reception is maximal when the direction of the transmitter is perpendicular to the ferrite core, as opposed to when they are parallel according to Faraday's law. They seek an explanation for this phenomenon and question whether the direction of the transmitter and magnetic field are the same. The conversation also mentions the importance of keeping the core and coil axis horizontal and perpendicular to the transmitter direction for maximum magnetic field.
EEEstudent
Hello,

I am afraid this might be a simple question but I am really confused.

I am currently working with ferrite core coil antennas, and I am having trouble at understanding their directivity. The cylindrical ferrite core is placed in the middle of the loops.

What I have read is that the reception is maximal when the direction of the transmitter is perpendicular to that of the ferrite core. It is minimal when the direction of the transmitter and the core are in parallel.

I am confused because, from Faraday's law, the induced voltage in the wire should be maximum when the magnetic field and the surface of the coil (whose vector is its normal vector) are in parallel. Since the normal of the surface is parallel to the direction of the core, this seems to contradict what I have read.

Could someone please explain why the directivity of a loop antenna is the way it is? Does my confusion come from the fact that the direction of the transmitter is not the same as the direction of the magnetic field? (or is it?)

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Consider a vertical transmitter tower.
RF current flows up and down the tower.
A resulting RF magnetic field forms circles around the tower.
You want the most magnetic field possible to pass through your antenna coil.
So you keep the axis of your core and coil, horizontal, and perpendicular to the transmitter direction.

Related to How does the direction of a coil antenna affect its directivity?

1. What is the direction of a coil antenna?

The direction of a coil antenna refers to the orientation of the coil in relation to the direction of the electromagnetic waves it is receiving or transmitting.

2. How does the direction of a coil antenna affect its performance?

The direction of a coil antenna can affect its performance by altering its radiation pattern, which determines the direction and strength of the electromagnetic waves it can send and receive. A coil antenna's direction can also impact its sensitivity and efficiency in different directions.

3. Can the direction of a coil antenna be changed?

Yes, the direction of a coil antenna can be changed by physically rotating the antenna or using electronic means such as a switch or a phase shifter.

4. What is the difference between a directional and omnidirectional coil antenna?

A directional coil antenna is designed to send or receive electromagnetic waves in a specific direction, while an omnidirectional coil antenna can send and receive waves in all directions. Directional coil antennas are typically used for long-range communication, while omnidirectional antennas are more commonly used for short-range communication.

5. How do I determine the optimal direction for my coil antenna?

The optimal direction for a coil antenna depends on the specific application and desired performance. Factors such as the type of communication, distance, and potential sources of interference should be considered when determining the optimal direction for a coil antenna. It is recommended to consult with an expert or perform testing to determine the best direction for your specific needs.