How does the intersection form change when changing coefficient rings?

In summary, the conversation discusses the intersection form in homology, specifically how it is affected by changes in the coefficient ring R. It is noted that there is a difference between the symplectic groups Sp^2(2g,Z) and Sp(2g,Z), which are automorphisms of H_1(Sg,Z/2) and H_1(Sg,Z) respectively. The conversation also mentions a theory of mod 2 intersection and asks if the intersection number remains the same under a change of coefficients from Z-integers to Z/2. The expert summarizer notes that if the intersection pairing is defined on the free part of H_n(M;Z) and the mod 2 pairing is defined on the image of
Bacle
Hi, All:

The intersection form ( , ): H_n(M,R)xH_n(M,R)-->Z ; Z the integers and R any coefficient ring, in a 2n-manifold is well-defined in homology, i.e.,

if (x,y)= c , and x~x' and y~y' , then (x',y')=c

Still, how is the value of the intersection form affected by changes in the coefficient ring R? Specifically: what if R went from being torsion-free, like, say, the integers, to having torsion. What would be the difference?

What makes me think that there actually is a difference is that the symplectic groups
Sp^2(2g,Z) and Sp(2g,Z) , which are respectively:

i) Sp^2(2g,Z): The automorphisms of H_1(Sg,Z/2) that preserve intersection, and

ii) H_1(Sg,Z) : automorphisms of H_1(Sg,Z) that preserve intersection

are different groups (actually, I think i) is a subgroup of ii )

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
well there is a theory of mod 2 intersection. obviously it is different since it measures only the parity of the number of intersections.
see milnor's topology from the differentiable viewpoint, or guillemin pollack's differential topology.
what does your question mean?

I mean that we go from homology over Z-integers to homology over Z/2 by doing mod-2 reduction, using universal coeff. theorem, etc.

So, say we evaluate the intersection of 2 (transversely-intersecting) classes a,b in H_1(M,Z). We then do a change of coefficients to Z/2 , and so under this change of coefficients, a is sent to a' , b is sent to b'. Is the intersection number (a,b) the same as the intersection number (a',b')?

obviously an integer cannot equal an integer mod 2, so i suppose you mean does the mod 2 intersection number equal the integral intersection number mod 2? of course the answer is yes. did you consult any of the references i gave?

Bacle said:
I mean that we go from homology over Z-integers to homology over Z/2 by doing mod-2 reduction, using universal coeff. theorem, etc.

So, say we evaluate the intersection of 2 (transversely-intersecting) classes a,b in H_1(M,Z). We then do a change of coefficients to Z/2 , and so under this change of coefficients, a is sent to a' , b is sent to b'. Is the intersection number (a,b) the same as the intersection number (a',b')?
You have to be more specific. You're asking if some square is a commutative diagram, but I only know what two of the vertices are. Are you defining the intersection product on H_n(M;Z) or the free part of that? Are you defining the mod 2 intersection pairing on the image of the free part of H_n(M;Z), or on the whole thing?

If you define the intersection pairing on the free part of H_n(M;Z) and you define the mod 2 pairing on the image of that mod 2, then the answer is yes, basically by definition. But if you define it on the whole thing, I believe the answer is no in general.

Related to How does the intersection form change when changing coefficient rings?

1. What is the intersection of two lines?

The intersection of two lines is the point where the two lines cross or meet each other. It is the solution to the system of equations formed by the two lines.

2. How do you find the intersection of two lines?

To find the intersection of two lines, you can solve the system of equations formed by the two lines using methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. The resulting values for x and y represent the coordinates of the intersection point.

3. What is the significance of the coefficient in a linear equation?

The coefficient in a linear equation represents the slope or rate of change of the line. It determines the steepness of the line and whether it is increasing or decreasing. A larger coefficient indicates a steeper line, while a smaller coefficient indicates a flatter line.

4. How do the coefficients affect the intersection of two lines?

The coefficients of two lines affect their intersection as they determine the slopes of the lines. If the coefficients are the same, the lines are parallel and do not intersect. If the coefficients are different, the lines intersect at a single point.

5. Can two lines have more than one intersection?

No, two lines in a two-dimensional plane can only have one intersection point. If the lines are parallel, they do not intersect at all. If the lines are the same, they overlap and have infinite intersection points.