How does this fit the equation of a hyperbola?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation of a hyperbola and its parameters, including vo, S, and [S]. The formula presented is used to predict vo based on the substrate concentration [S], and it can also be seen graphically that it is a hyperbola. The parameters a and b are not relevant to the geometric shape of the hyperbola, but the location of the asymptotes, which are at [S] = -b and v0 = a, is important.
sparkle123
As far as I know, a hyperbola has the equation
a50e632b.png

So how does this (below) work?
04b1aca6.png

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have the definitions of v0, S and ?

is substrate concentration
vo is the initial rate of an enzyme-catalyzed reaction
Thanks!

sparkle123 said:
is substrate concentration
vo is the initial rate of an enzyme-catalyzed reaction
Thanks!

Ah, so we're talking about a model where vo is predicted based on a substrate concentration .
I presume the model leads to the formula you presented?

I guess you should know that y = 1/x also describes a hyperbola with its asymptotes aligned with the coordinate axes.
If you would draw a plot of your formula, you'll see that it is a hyperbola.

You can see that for instance here: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Plot[(2+x)/(3+++x),+{x,+-15,+15}

The parameters a and b seem to be arbitrary parameters that do not describe the geometric shape of the hyperbola.
I could find out what the actual geometric parameters are, but I suspect that's not really relevant in your case?

[EDIT]I guess that was is relevant in your case is the location of the asymptotes, which are at = -b and at v0 = a [/EDIT].

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! :)

Related to How does this fit the equation of a hyperbola?

1. How do you determine if a given equation is a hyperbola?

The standard form of a hyperbola equation is (x-h)²/a² - (y-k)²/b² = 1. If an equation can be rearranged to this form, then it is a hyperbola. Additionally, the coefficients of and must have opposite signs for the equation to represent a hyperbola.

2. What are the key features of a hyperbola?

A hyperbola has two pieces, called branches, that are symmetrical with each other. It also has two asymptotes, which are lines that the branches approach but do not intersect. The center of a hyperbola is the point where the two branches meet, and it is also the midpoint between the two foci of the hyperbola.

3. How do you find the center, foci, and asymptotes of a hyperbola?

To find the center of a hyperbola, you can use the standard form of the equation and identify the values of h and k. The foci of a hyperbola can be found by using the formula c² = a² + b², where c represents the distance from the center to the foci. The asymptotes of a hyperbola can be found by using the formula y = ±(b/a)x, where a and b are the coefficients of x and y in the standard form of the equation.

4. How does changing the values of a, b, and c affect the shape of a hyperbola?

The values of a and b determine the size and shape of the hyperbola. A larger value of a results in a wider hyperbola, while a larger value of b results in a taller hyperbola. The value of c affects the distance between the center and the foci, which also impacts the size and shape of the hyperbola.

5. Can a hyperbola have a negative value for a or b?

Yes, the values of a and b can be negative in the standard form of a hyperbola equation. This means that the branches of the hyperbola will open in the opposite direction from the positive values. However, the signs of a and b must be opposite in order for the equation to represent a hyperbola.