How Does Varley Loop Testing Calculate Fault Distance in Cables?

In summary: L=ρ.Rc.Ac.LL/Ac.AL=ρ.Rc.Ac.LL/Ac.AlRl=Rc.Ac.Ll/Ac.LL ; ρ=Rl.Ac/Ll ; RL=ρ.Lc/AL=ρ.Rl.Ac.Lc/Ac.AL=Rl.Ac.Lc/Ac.LLIn summary, a Varley Bridge is used to connect a faulty three-core copper cable to two identical copper leads. The resistance of the cable core (Rc) and the initial reading of the bridge (Ri) are used to calculate the cable resistance to the fault from the bridge (Rx). By substituting the final reading resistance (Rf) in the equation, the effect of the
swr

Homework Statement

A Varley Bridge is connected to a faulty three-core copper cable by two identical copper leads of resistance Rl.

(a) Show that for the initial reading (connection to earth);

2Rx = 2Rc – Ri ........ 1

where Rc is the resistance of the cable core Ri is the initial reading of the bridge
Rx is the cable resistance to the fault from the bridge

and for the final reading:

2Rc = R f – 2Rl ........  2

where Rl is a lead resistance
Rf is the final reading resistance.

Then by substituting (2) in (1) and rearranging the equation, show:

Rx + Rl =  R f R–f Ri  Rc + Rl 

(b) By multiplying the rhs brackets and collecting terms, show the effect of the leads is given by:

R = Rf–Ri R – Rl Ri

x c Rf
Rf
i.e. = effect with no leads – ratio of initial and final readings

× lead resistance(c) Determine the distance to the fault by modifying the expression in (b) and using Rx = x

Rc L

where x is the cable distance to the fault and L is the length of a cable core.

Derive an expression for x, the distance to the fault.

(d) Using R=ρL/A

where ρ is the resistivity,
L is the length
and A is the cross-sectional area of a cable core
show that
Rl=RcAcLl/AlLc

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can work out all the way to section d, but then have no idea what formula to start with

Physics news on Phys.org
It would help if you provided a diagram with the various resistances labelled. I remember seeing a Varley bridge many years ago, but I don't remember the basic circuitry and how it is connected to cable.

upload_2018-7-18_22-44-4-png.png

This is how the varley bridge circuit looks.
I just cannot see which of my existing formulae or how to create a new to show Rl=RcAcLl/AlLc

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-18_22-44-4-png.png
    upload_2018-7-18_22-44-4-png.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 973
In a) take Ra=Rb. Point b) it is very difficult to guess what the actual formulae are [what is written it is only gibberish].

Point d) I guess Lc=cable length, LL=lead length and ρc=ρL=ρ

Rc=ρ.Lc/Ac ;ρ=Rc.Ac/Lc; RL=ρ.LL/AL

Related to How Does Varley Loop Testing Calculate Fault Distance in Cables?

1. What is the Varley loop R=pL/A formula?

The Varley loop R=pL/A formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the resistance (R) of a long, thin wire or conductor. It takes into account the length (L) and cross-sectional area (A) of the wire, as well as the resistivity (p) of the material it is made of.

2. How is the Varley loop R=pL/A formula derived?

The Varley loop R=pL/A formula is derived from Ohm's law, which states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. By rearranging the equation to solve for resistance, we get R=V/I. By substituting in the equation for voltage (V=IR) and the equation for resistivity (p=RA/L), we get R=pL/A.

3. What are the units for the Varley loop R=pL/A formula?

The units for the Varley loop R=pL/A formula depend on the units used for length (L) and cross-sectional area (A). If L is measured in meters (m) and A is measured in square meters (m^2), then the units for resistance (R) will be ohms (Ω). If L is measured in centimeters (cm) and A is measured in square centimeters (cm^2), then the units for resistance will be ohms per centimeter (Ω/cm).

4. When is the Varley loop R=pL/A formula most commonly used?

The Varley loop R=pL/A formula is most commonly used in electrical and electronics engineering, specifically in the design and analysis of long, thin conductors such as wires and cables. It is also used in physics and materials science to study the behavior of materials with different resistivities.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Varley loop R=pL/A formula?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the Varley loop R=pL/A formula. It assumes that the material being measured has a uniform resistivity along its length, which may not always be the case. It also does not take into account factors such as temperature, which can affect the resistivity of a material. Additionally, the formula is most accurate for long, thin conductors and may not be as accurate for thicker or shorter conductors.