How Does Water Pressure Affect the Initial Velocity in Projectile Motion?

In summary, the conversation discusses an open-ended investigation for school involving an experiment on the motion of water from a hose. The first independent variable being examined is the angle of launch, while the second one is still being determined. The idea of changing the pressure of the tap or hose is suggested, with the question of whether this has any correlation to initial velocity. The expert suggests that the more water passing through the hose per second, the faster the velocity, and asks for ideas on how to calculate or measure the exit velocity.
Bucko
[mod note: post moved into homework forum, so template is absent]

G'day,

I have an open ended investigation to do for school, and was wanting to do an experiment involving the motion of water from a hose, as this would give me a good parabolic curve to view. I wish to examine two independant variables. First one is angle of launch - pretty easy. I'm having trouble with a second one through.

I was wondering whether i could change the pressure of the actual tap/ hose, and whether or not this has any correlation to initial velocity, as in can I work out the initial velocity if I measure the pressure of the tap using a pressure gauge, for example.

Any help on the topic would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Bucko. :welcome:

Sure, the more water that passes through the hose per second, the faster its velocity. So the problem becomes: how to calculate or measure that exit velocity.

Any ideas?

Related to How Does Water Pressure Affect the Initial Velocity in Projectile Motion?

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is propelled into the air and then follows a curved path due to the influence of gravity.

2. What is the purpose of conducting a projectile motion experiment?

The purpose of a projectile motion experiment is to study the behavior of objects in motion and to understand how different factors such as angle, velocity, and gravity affect the trajectory of a projectile.

3. What are the key components of a projectile motion experiment?

The key components of a projectile motion experiment include a projectile (object being launched), a launcher (device used to launch the projectile), a measuring device (to record the motion of the projectile), and a stable environment to conduct the experiment.

4. How is the angle of launch related to the range of a projectile?

The angle of launch directly affects the range of a projectile. The higher the angle of launch, the greater the range will be. However, if the angle is too high, the projectile will not travel very far due to the influence of gravity pulling it down.

5. What are the real-life applications of projectile motion?

Projectile motion has many real-life applications, such as in sports (e.g. throwing a ball or shooting a basketball), in engineering (e.g. designing bridges or projectiles for warfare), and in physics (e.g. studying the motion of planets and satellites).