How Fast Must a Meter Stick Move to Appear Half Its Length?

In summary, the meter stick's length shrinks when it moves at a speed V. The proper time to measure the length, in the meter stick's rest frame, is different than the time measured in the observer's frame, which is due to the space-time transformations.
alksjadf

Homework Statement

How fast must a meter stick be moving if its length is observed to shrink to 0.5 m?

The Attempt at a Solution

A meter stick moving at speed V to a stationary observer is the same thing as a stationary meter stick and an observer moving at speed V.

Lproper = Lp = 1 meter
Lobserved = L' = .5 meter
y = 1/sqrt(1- v^2/c^2)

Time it takes for observer to cover the distance of 1 meter, /\t:
/\t = Lp/V

Length moving observer sees, L':
L' = V*/\t'
where /\t' is the time it takes for the meter stick to fly by in observer's reference frame

Choosing Proper Time:
If I choose proper time to be /\t then:
/\t*y = /\t'

Through substitution this leads to:
L' = Lp*y (WRONG)

If i choose proper time to be /\t' then:
/\t = /\t'*y

Through substitution this leads to:
L' = Lp/y (RIGHT)

Why can't I choose the wrong one? What makes the other one right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would just start with:

L = L[itex]_{}o[/itex][itex]\sqrt{}1-(v / c)^2[/itex]

and solve for v noting L / Lo = 1/2

Well sure I can just memorize formulas but I want to understand where they come from.

That's not what you said in the OP.

Sure it is. By doing it the right way, the formula is derived and by doing the wrong way, it isn't. I want to know why the right way is right and wrong way is wrong.

This is an important detail that many students often overlook about time dilation. The time dilation formula [itex]\Delta t = \gamma \Delta t'[/itex] applies only when the clock is at rest in the primed frame, that is, when [itex]\Delta t'[/itex] is the proper time between two events.

To measure [itex]\Delta t'[/itex], the observer starts the timer when the front end of the meter stick passes by and stops the timer when the back end passes. Because the observer is at rest in his frame, [itex]\Delta t'[/itex] is the proper time between the two events, and the time dilation formula can be used to find the time elapsed between the same two events in the meter stick's rest frame. In the meter stick's rest frame, however, the two events are separated in both space and time, so [itex]\Delta t[/itex] isn't the proper time. Instead, you would calculate the proper time [itex]\Delta\tau[/itex] using [itex](c\Delta \tau)^2 = (c\Delta t)^2 - \Delta x^2[/itex].

Are you familiar with the Lorentz transformations and space-time diagrams? I find it a lot clearer what's going on when I analyze the problem using those.

Yeah, I think I'm beginning to understand it better. And no, I haven't learned the Lorentz transformations yet, I will be learning it next lecture. Hopefully that will clear things up even more. Thanks.

Related to How Fast Must a Meter Stick Move to Appear Half Its Length?

What is the purpose of choosing the proper time?

The purpose of choosing the proper time is to accurately measure and document events or processes. It allows for precise data collection and analysis, leading to more reliable and valid results.

How do I determine the proper time to use?

The proper time is dependent on the specific experiment or study being conducted. Factors such as the type of measurement being taken, the duration of the event, and the equipment being used should all be taken into consideration when determining the proper time.

What are some common methods for choosing the proper time?

Some common methods for choosing the proper time include using a stopwatch or timer, synchronizing with a standard clock or time source, and considering external factors such as natural cycles or human behaviors.

What can happen if the proper time is not chosen correctly?

If the proper time is not chosen correctly, it can lead to inaccurate data, flawed conclusions, and potentially wasted time and resources. It is important to carefully consider and select the proper time to ensure the validity and reliability of the results.

Are there any tools or resources available to help with choosing the proper time?

Yes, there are various tools and resources available to help with choosing the proper time. These may include online calculators, software programs, or guides specific to the type of experiment or study being conducted. Consulting with other scientists or experts in the field can also be helpful in determining the proper time.