How gels and gelling agents work

• Thread starter CrimpJiggler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, gelling agents are substances that form a gel by trapping liquid within a 3D network of polymers or small molecules. These gels can be formed by either covalent bonds or weak intermolecular forces and the strength of the gel will vary depending on the type of molecule used. Gelling agents can also include small molecules, and the ability to form a gel may depend on the environment in which they are used.
CrimpJiggler
I'm trying to learn what exactly gelling agents are, what they do and how they do it. A good place to start would be to learn what gels are, I read the wikipedia page on gels:
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Gel
and am pretty fascinated now. So gels are actually mixtures containing a solid skeletal structure which completely ensnares liquid inside its 3D structure? I assume then that gelling agents are the solid compounds that do the ensnaring. I notice that all the gelling agents I've heard of so far are polymers but I just came across this article:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa5350/is_200309/ai_n21336329/
which talks about small, low molecular weight gelling agents so I see now that its not just long chained polymers that can form these 3D cages for liquids. I can't find enough info on the chemistry of gels and gelling agents to get my head around the whole concept so I'll have to ask some questions. I read there that those novel low MW gelling agents hold the 3D cage together with weak intermolecular forces while classical gelling agents hold it together with covalent bonds. Are the classical gelling agents all polymers? If so do they have to be highly branched to act as gelling agents?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Also, how can the same molecule act as a gelling agent in some cases and not in others? Gelling agents are substances that form a gel, which is a type of colloidal suspension in which a liquid is trapped within a 3D network of polymers or small molecules. The most common gelling agents are polymers, such as polysaccharides, proteins, and synthetic polymers. These polymers form the 3D network by either covalent bonds between the polymer chains, or by weak intermolecular forces between the molecules. Depending on the type of molecule used to form the gel, the strength of the gel will vary. For example, polysaccharides form relatively weak gels, while synthetic polymers form stronger gels.In some cases, small molecules can act as gelling agents. These molecules form the 3D network by weak intermolecular forces, such as hydrogen bonds and van der Waals forces. These gels tend to be weaker than those formed by polymers, but they can still be useful in certain applications.The same molecule can act as a gelling agent in some cases and not in others depending on the environment in which it is used. For example, a polymer may form a gel in an aqueous solution, but may not form a gel in an organic solvent. Similarly, a small molecule may form a gel in an organic solvent, but may not form a gel in an aqueous solution.

Related to How gels and gelling agents work

1. How do gels form?

Gels are formed when long, tangled molecules called polymers are mixed with a liquid, such as water. These polymers create a network that traps the liquid and forms a solid-like substance.

2. What are common types of gelling agents?

Some common types of gelling agents include agar-agar, gelatin, pectin, and carrageenan. These agents can come from natural sources like plants or animals, or they can be synthetic.

3. How do gels change consistency?

Gels can change consistency by altering the amount of gelling agent or liquid used, as well as the temperature. Adding more gelling agent or lowering the temperature will result in a thicker, firmer gel, while adding more liquid or increasing the temperature will create a thinner, more fluid gel.

4. What is the purpose of using gels in food?

Gels are often used in food to improve texture, provide stability, and enhance the appearance of a product. They can also be used to create unique textures, such as a smooth and creamy pudding or a firm and chewy gummy candy.

5. How do gels work in skincare products?

In skincare products, gels can act as a thickening agent to create a smooth and spreadable texture. They can also help to hydrate and lock in moisture on the skin. Additionally, gels can be used as a delivery system for active ingredients, allowing them to penetrate deeper into the skin for better results.