How is the first peak of the CMB calculated?

• Thread starter Dr. Strange
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cmb Peak
In summary, the conversation is about the relationship between the quoted sound horizon and the first acoustic peak in the CMB data. The Plank study quotes the sound horizon at 1.04147 x 10^-2, which corresponds to a multipole moment of 302. However, the first peak in the data is at a multipole moment of 220. The conversation discusses different formulas and references for calculating the sound horizon and how it relates to the first peak. It is suggested that the discrepancy may be due to different conventions being used for the parameters. The conversation also mentions the use of computer code to generate test CMB data and find the best-fit universe. Ultimately, the sound horizon and the first peak are different due to
Dr. Strange
This is a follow up to an old thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-first-acoustic-peak-in-cmb.475412/. In the final draft of the Plank study - http://arxiv.org/pdf/1303.5076v3.pdf - they quote the sound horizon at 1.04147 x 10-2. This equates to a multipole moment of 302. However, if you look at the diagram of the power curve, the first peak is at roughly 220.
Plank Power Spectrum.png

In the earlier post, someone suggested that there was a phase shift, but if you actually calculate the phase shift from the referenced document - using the r* from the Plank study - you get a factor of 0.5. So 302 x 0.5 = 150 which still doesn't equal a multipole moment of 220. So what is the relation between the quoted sound horizon of 0.0104147 and the first acoustic peak at a moment of 220?

Likes DoobleD
Space news on Phys.org
Chalnoth said:
Thanks for the post, but I've been through that NED document a couple of times. It doesn't help with the issue. I'd like to know how the sound horizon quoted in the Plank document, 0.014147 radians, relates to the first peak of the power spectrum at 220 in Figure 1 of the same document.

Attachments

• Rich Fundamentals of Cosmology 271.pdf
    58.5 KB · Views: 251
Likes DoobleD
George Jones said:
The location of the first of the peak depends on various parameters. I have attached page 271 from the second edition of "Fundamentals of Cosmology" by James Rich, and the approximate relationship (7.82) with n = 1 gives the shift between the first peak and the sound horizon. Reference [154] from this page is

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/9604166

For more detail, see the reference that I give in

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-can-you-show-the-cmb-shift-parameter.804813/.
I'm sorry, but you seem to have misunderstood my question. I have a formula (see the reference in the original post). The one you reference appears to be the same form. I already took the numbers from Plank, plugged them into the formula and got a multipole movement of 152.2, so apparently I'm unable to pick the right numbers out of the Plank report. I'm looking for someone who can tell me what numbers from the final Plank report I can use to go from a quoted sound horizon of 0.014147 to a moment of roughly 220.

Dr. Strange said:
I'm sorry, but you seem to have misunderstood my question. I have a formula (see the reference in the original post). The one you reference appears to be the same form. I already took the numbers from Plank, plugged them into the formula and got a multipole movement of 152.2, so apparently I'm unable to pick the right numbers out of the Plank report. I'm looking for someone who can tell me what numbers from the final Plank report I can use to go from a quoted sound horizon of 0.014147 to a moment of roughly 220.
Btw, my bet is that this whole issue is a matter of different conventions being used for the parameters in the different sources. I'll see if I can't look into it in more detail when I get home later.

Dr. Strange said:
I'm looking for someone who can tell me what numbers from the final Plank report I can use to go from a quoted sound horizon of 0.014147 to a moment of roughly 220.

Since the first peak of 220 appears in the data, shouldn't this be turned around? Shouldn't the question be "How are the Planck data (all of the data, not just the peak at 220) used to to calculate the sound horizon at last scattering?"

A second, related question might be "Why is the calculated sound horizon different than the first peak?"

Computer code (see 2.1.5 in the Planck paper) that integrates Boltzmann equations for interactions is used to generate test CMB data for model universes that are parametrized by six or so parameters. These model data sets are statistically fitted to the the actual data to find a best-fit set of parameters, i.e., to find a best-fit universe. This best-fit universe is then used to calculate the sound horizon via equation (6) of the Planck paper.

The sound horizon is different from the first peak in the data because of reason given in the pdf that I attached above. See the paragraph that begins "the shift ##\Delta l##"

Related to How is the first peak of the CMB calculated?

1. How is the first peak of the CMB calculated?

The first peak of the cosmic microwave background (CMB) is calculated using data from the Planck satellite, which measures the temperature and polarization of the CMB radiation. The first peak is determined by analyzing the power spectrum of the CMB, which shows the distribution of temperature fluctuations at different angular scales.

2. What is the significance of the first peak of the CMB?

The first peak of the CMB is significant because it provides important information about the early universe. It represents the size of the universe at the time of recombination, when the first atoms formed and the universe became transparent to radiation. This peak also helps to constrain the density and composition of the universe.

3. How does the first peak of the CMB relate to inflation theory?

Inflation theory predicts that the universe underwent a rapid period of expansion in the first fraction of a second after the Big Bang. This theory also predicts that the first peak of the CMB should have a specific amplitude and position on the power spectrum, which has been confirmed by observations from the Planck satellite. This provides evidence for the validity of inflation theory.

4. Can the first peak of the CMB be used to study dark matter and dark energy?

Yes, the first peak of the CMB can provide valuable insights into the nature of dark matter and dark energy. By studying the power spectrum of the CMB, scientists can measure the overall matter density of the universe, which includes both ordinary matter and dark matter. The position and shape of the first peak can also be used to constrain the amount and properties of dark energy in the universe.

5. How has the calculation of the first peak of the CMB changed over time?

The calculation of the first peak of the CMB has improved significantly over time with advancements in technology and data analysis methods. Early experiments, such as the Cosmic Background Explorer (COBE) and the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP), provided rough estimates of the first peak's position and amplitude. However, the Planck satellite has greatly refined these measurements, providing more precise and detailed information about the CMB and the first peak. Ongoing and future experiments, such as the Simons Observatory and the upcoming European Space Agency's Euclid mission, will continue to improve our understanding of the first peak of the CMB and its significance in cosmology.