• Start date
  • Tags
    longevity
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2023 Award
There are some messages complaining how this, that or the other didn't last. I thought I'd share a counterexample. I was looking at SMART logs and one of my disks has been in constant use for over 12 years - a Western Digital Re.

I believe this is post "Caviar" and pre "Colors". 100,000+ hours in service. No bad sectors. No relocated sectors. I'm impressed.

Slightly less impressive was a 19 year old drive that still works, although its been in a box for 7 years.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Indeed. I have a 1 terabyte drive that's been running for probably 8-10 years now with no issues.

Anecdotal evidence is a bad thing to rely on for failure rates. Yes, you can be lucky, but you also can have bad luck.

More impressive numbers: 43 billion rotations, and almost 7 million miles of travel (at the edge of the platter).

It's also remarkable how the technology has changed: in the first 20 years of IBM PCs you had (in the non-SCSI market) MFM, RLL, ESDI, PATA/IDE and then SATA. Now we have SATA.

FactChecker said:
Anecdotal evidence is a bad thing to rely on for failure rates.
I don't think anyone has said that one good drive is all the testing you need.

Likes nsaspook and FactChecker
Vanadium 50 said:
I don't think anyone has said that one good drive is all the testing you need.
That's true. The situation is complicated. HDDs can have a higher failure rate but are much more likely to be recoverable. A failed sector on a hard drive contains less data than blocks or chips on an SSD so the data is more likely to be recoverable. See this.

I've just set up a NAS RAID around half a year ago with already used (common) disks.

It has an UPS and won't be switched off, ever.

I expect it to serve at least a few years.

... just had to replace a half year old laptop HDD recently. Hurled left and right; switched off daily.

My NAS' power supply died thir morning. :frown:

It made that forms in the garbage disposal sound and a minute later than was it. I have a new supply, but connecting it up is harder than it might seem. Lots of cables in a small space.

FWIW, every single disk in it is >5 years old. I have a new spare on the shelf in cased one goes bad, and a spare in the NAS which gets used automatically.

Rive said:
I've just set up a NAS RAID around half a year ago
As an aside, I am using mostly NAS and Enterprise drives on mine. I started with "regular" drives and expanded when they failed, and what's left are largely NAS and Enterprise. Two Toshiba X300s (lasted much longer than the N300)'s, 2 IronWolves (or is that Wolfs?) and 3 Seagate Enterprise Capacities (formerly Constellation). Also a HGST Ultrastar for backup.

My suspicion is that heat slowly kills consumer-grade drives.

Vanadium 50 said:
No bad sectors.
There are probably some small defects in the surface, but error correction has enough margin to correct for this.

Strictly speaking, no relocated sectors. I do a weekly SMART long test, which should pick up problems.

Related to How long can a hard disk last?

1. How long can a hard disk last?

A hard disk can last anywhere from 3 to 5 years on average. However, the lifespan of a hard disk can vary depending on factors such as usage patterns, environmental conditions, and manufacturer quality.

2. What can affect the lifespan of a hard disk?

Several factors can affect the lifespan of a hard disk, including temperature, humidity, power surges, physical shock, and the number of read/write cycles. It is important to properly maintain and handle your hard disk to maximize its lifespan.

3. Can a hard disk last longer if it is not used frequently?

Yes, a hard disk can last longer if it is not used frequently. Hard disks that are powered on and off frequently or subjected to constant read/write operations are more likely to fail sooner than those that are used sparingly.

4. Is there a way to extend the lifespan of a hard disk?

Yes, there are several ways to extend the lifespan of a hard disk. These include keeping the hard disk in a cool and dry environment, avoiding physical shocks or drops, using a surge protector, and regularly backing up important data to prevent excessive read/write operations.

5. How can I tell if my hard disk is failing?

There are several signs that indicate a hard disk is failing, including strange noises coming from the disk, frequent crashes or freezes, slow performance, and error messages related to disk failure. It is important to regularly monitor the health of your hard disk using diagnostic tools to prevent data loss due to a failing disk.