How Many Collisions Occur in a Particle Collision Problem on the Unit Interval?

In summary, there are a total of 20 particle-particle collisions that occur before the five particles once again occupy their original positions and are moving to the right. This can be proven by counting the number of times particles pass each other, with the rightmost particle involved in 8 collisions, the second right-most in 6 collisions, and so on. This is equivalent to the particles bouncing off each other and not passing through, ensuring that the original positions are maintained.
alec_tronn

Homework Statement

Suppose that five particles are traveling back and forth on the unit interval [0,1]. Initially, all five particles move to the right with the same speed. (The initial placement of the particles does not matter as long as they are not at the endpoints.) When a particle reaches 0 or 1, it reverses direction but maintains its speed. When two particles collide, they both reverse direction (and maintain speeds). How many particle-particle collisions occur before the particles once again occupy their original positions and are moving to the right?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've drawn out the process if all particles are equal distances apart (1st one at 1\6, 2nd at 2\6, 3rd one at 3\6, 4th one at 4\6, and 5th one at 5\6), and counted the collisions. I've decided the answer is 20, but I don't know how to prove it. If I just write down the case I tried, then it only proves it for that one case, and that's no good. Does anybody have any suggestions as to where to start on this proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
Two particles colliding then switching directions is equivalent to the two particles passing right through each other. In that situation, you get a train of 5 particles going to the right, then each one changing direction as it reaches 1, then changing direction again upon reaching 0, and then moving right toward their original places. Thinking of it this way, you just need to count the number of times particles pass each other. You'll see that the rightmost passes the other 4 once each when its heading left and once again for each as its heading back right. So the rightmost is involved in 8 "collisions". The second right-most similarly passes through the three to the left of it once on its way left and once again on its way right, making 6. You'll see the answer is 8 + 6 + 4 + 2 = 20.

I think I'm following you, but I have a couple questions. Physically, yes bouncing off of each other is the same as passing through, but then the names for the particles have switched, and we're required to have the original particles in their original positions, so how to I know\prove that they're not all mixed up and in the same positions? In other words, if it started like (1st one at 1\6, 2nd at 2\6, 3rd one at 3\6, 4th one at 4\6, and 5th one at 5\6) that it isn't now (2nd one at 1\6, 5thnd at 2\6, 3rd one at 3\6, 4th one at 4\6, and 1st one at 5\6)?

Since they're really bouncing off each other and not passing through each other, the rightmost particle will remain rightmost. So the 5th cannot be at 2/6 if the 3rd is at 3/6. The rightmost particle will not remain rightmost throughout the entire journey IF you regard them as passing through each other, but in the situation that counts, the colliding-situation and passing-through-situation turn out to be the same. You'll see this if you think about it for a bit. In other words, the desired ending condition occurs when the particles are thought as colliding iff the desired ending condition occurs while the particles are thought of as passing through each other.

Oooooooh. Okay Thanks a lot. I got it now.

Related to How Many Collisions Occur in a Particle Collision Problem on the Unit Interval?

1. What is a particle collision problem?

A particle collision problem refers to a scenario in which two or more particles collide with each other. This can occur in various types of scientific experiments, such as in particle accelerators, or in natural phenomena, such as cosmic collisions between particles in outer space.

2. What causes particle collisions?

Particle collisions can be caused by a variety of factors, including the manipulation of particles in a controlled environment, the natural movement and interactions of particles in a system, or the influence of external forces such as gravity or electromagnetic fields.

3. Why do scientists study particle collisions?

Scientists study particle collisions to gain a better understanding of the fundamental building blocks of matter and the laws that govern their behavior. By observing and analyzing particle collisions, they can uncover new information about the nature of particles and their interactions, which can lead to advancements in various fields of science.

4. How do scientists study particle collisions?

Scientists use various tools and techniques to study particle collisions, such as particle accelerators, detectors, and computer simulations. These tools allow them to manipulate and observe particles at high speeds and energies, and to collect and analyze data from the collisions.

5. What are some real-life applications of studying particle collisions?

Studying particle collisions has many practical applications in fields such as medicine, energy, and materials science. For example, the development of new cancer treatments and diagnostic tools relies on understanding the effects of particle collisions on cells and tissues. Additionally, the study of particle collisions can help improve energy production and storage technologies, and aid in the development of new materials with specific properties.