How many piles given n identical rocks?

• I
  • Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rocks
In summary, the conversation discusses a technique for counting the number of piles that can be made given a certain number of identical rocks. The technique involves systematically grouping the rocks and adding them together in different combinations. The conversation also mentions the partition numbers and the Bell triangle as helpful approaches for solving this problem. However, it is noted that there is no straightforward closed formula for this and it seems odd that one can easily do low cases in their head but not write down a formula for it.
member 428835
Is there a technique to count the amount of piles ##p## that can be made given ##n## identical rocks? We know ##n=1 \implies p=1##, ##n=2 \implies p=2##, ##n=3 \implies p=3##, ##n=4 \implies p=5##, and so on. I'm kind of lost as to how we approach it. It seems we have ##n## piles that we can distribute to, and we have ##n## "ones" we can distribute to the piles where each pile can have 0 to ##n## ones. I'd think something like stars-and-bars and somehow divide out the same scenarios, but I'm a little confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:
Is there a technique to count the amount of piles ##p## that can be made given ##n## identical rocks? We know ##n=1 \implies p=1##, ##n=2 \implies p=2##, ##n=3 \implies p=3##, ##n=4 \implies p=5##, and so on. I'm kind of lost as to how we approach it. It seems we have ##n## piles that we can distribute to, and we have ##n## "ones" we can distribute to the piles where each pile can have 0 to ##n## ones. I'd think something like stars-and-bars and somehow divide out the same scenarios, but I'm a little confused.
These are the partition numbers:

https://oeis.org/A000041

• Informative
Likes Dale and DrClaude
joshmccraney said:
If you mean a technique to actually count, I start with piles of one using here an example of ##n=7##. Then systematically group into piles of 2 and then start over with a 3 group and 1's grouping by 2's again, then 3's and so forth. In each case you are simply moving a one left and adding it except each time you start with a larger grouping you go back to all ones for the rest.

1 1 1 1 1 1 1
2 1 1 1 1 1
2 2 1 1 1
2 2 2 1
3 1 1 1 1
3 2 1 1
3 2 2
3 3 1
4 1 1 1
4 2 1
4 3
5 1 1
5 2
6 1

giving 15 partitions. You can turn this into an algorithm.

Also, here is a Wolfram applet;

https://www.wolframalpha.com/widgets/view.jsp?id=ca10ab4a89d9f0f6f378b89881f63ba3

Last edited:
Likes member 428835
I was surprised to learn there is no straightforward closed formula for this. Or even how many ways to do k piles with n rocks. It just seems odd that one can do low n cases in one's head but can't just write down a formula like permutations.

bob012345 said:
I was surprised to learn there is no straightforward closed formula for this. Or even how many ways to do k piles with n rocks. It just seems odd that one can do low n cases in one's head but can't just write down a formula like permutations.
Isn't the Bell triangle, while not a formula, a helpful approach?

joshmccraney said:
Isn't the Bell triangle, while not a formula, a helpful approach?
I'll look at that. Thanks.

Related to How many piles given n identical rocks?

1. How many piles can be made with n identical rocks?

The number of piles that can be made with n identical rocks depends on the size and shape of the rocks. If the rocks are all the same size and shape, then the number of piles will be equal to the number of rocks. However, if the rocks vary in size and shape, then the number of piles may be different.

2. Is there a formula for determining the number of piles given n identical rocks?

Yes, there is a formula for determining the number of piles given n identical rocks. It is n, which means that the number of piles will be equal to the number of rocks.

3. Can the number of piles be greater than n when given n identical rocks?

No, the number of piles cannot be greater than n when given n identical rocks. This is because each pile can only have one rock, and there are only n rocks available.

4. How does the number of piles change if the rocks are not identical?

If the rocks are not identical, then the number of piles may be different. It will depend on the size and shape of the rocks. If the rocks are very different in size and shape, then the number of piles may be less than n. However, if the rocks are similar in size and shape, then the number of piles may still be equal to n.

5. Can the number of piles be negative when given n identical rocks?

No, the number of piles cannot be negative when given n identical rocks. This is because negative piles do not make sense in this context. Each pile must have at least one rock, so the number of piles will always be a positive integer.