How many scalars are needed in GUT theories?

In summary: The paper points out there is the SUSY SO(10) as well as the SO(10) another paper I have has a seesawII mechanism but I would have to dig that up atm I'm focusing on the single seesaw lol
Niklas Nielsen
Hello,

I don't know much about GUT physics, but I've been wondering whether these models usually breaks the grand unified symmetry to the standard model all at once, or multiple times at different energies. And in the case of multiple breakings, how many Higgs-like scalars are needed?

Thanks,
Niklas

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by breaking guts to the standard model?
In general a bigger group (a gut) would break to smaller ones... Now how this breaking is going to take place (to which group you might end up), depends on the Higgs' vevs...
Of course there can be some vevs which would be "preferred" to fall into lower states, and thus you get something like the bigger group going to an unstable universe and then that universe "falling" on the Standard Model one... That's really a lot of work, and I am not really sure whether I explained it correctly, maybe someone else could do a better job in that and/or correct me.
How many Higgses you need, depends on the theory... for example SuSy can have 5 Higgs scalars (or 2 Higgs chiral superfields).
The problem with some GUTs is that we don't understand reason why, the EW scale breaking is far less than the GUTs scale breaking...

Thanks a lot for your answer.

ChrisVer said:
The problem with some GUTs is that we don't understand reason why, the EW scale breaking is far less than the GUTs scale breaking...

I guess his is exactly what I'm curious about.. which mechanisms can let the EWSB happen at different a different scale than GUT breaking?

The problem is generally referred to as "gauge hierarchy problem". You can try to work with the theory in a way that will keep your SM Higgs at EW scale untouched. For example in SU(5) GUT you have the gauge bosons coupling the Higgs in the adjoint representation (24dim) to the Higgs in the spinor representation (5dim) in 1st order loops- that can destroy renormalizability which needs coupling between them at tree level.
If you try to save renormalizability (by let us saying modifying the vacuum- adding corrections which can be negliged at EW scale) you get the problem of the gauge hierarchy again (you need extreme fine tuning to keep the SM Higgs at the EW scale).
SUSY appears to resolve the problem of Higgs fine tuning because (roughly speaking) it allows bosonic and fermionic contributions to the Higgs mass corrections, keeping it "low"...

The SU(5) model has its own problems, but what GUT model doesn't lol. A potentially good model is the SO(10) GUT model. From what I can tell its gaining some strong support.

here is a review of the SUSY model
http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-ph/9402266v5.pdf

here is a couple showing how SO(10) I'm currently studying this model myself. So don't ask me too many questions on it :biggrin:

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1003.6102v1.pdf
http://cds.cern.ch/record/392392/files/9907211.pdf

Chronos posted this paper in which

"Lawrence Krauss suggests SU(10) is favored by BICEP2 data" very short paper though
http://arxiv.org/abs/1404.0634

in all fairness here is a review paper on the SU(10)
http://arxiv.org/abs/1212.3407

the paper points out there is the SUSY SO(10) as well as the SO(10) another paper I have has a seesawII mechanism but I would have to dig that up atm I'm focusing on the single seesaw lol

Last edited:

Related to How many scalars are needed in GUT theories?

1. How many scalars are typically included in GUT theories?

In most GUT theories, there are typically around 20-30 scalar fields included.

2. What is the purpose of including scalar fields in GUT theories?

Scalar fields are included in GUT theories to provide mass to particles and to break symmetries, allowing for a more accurate description of the physical universe.

3. Are there any GUT theories that do not include scalar fields?

Some variations of GUT theories, such as minimal supersymmetric GUTs, do not include scalar fields. However, these theories are still highly speculative and have not been confirmed by experimental evidence.

4. How do the number of scalar fields in GUT theories compare to other fundamental forces?

The number of scalar fields in GUT theories is significantly higher than the number of scalar fields in other fundamental forces, such as the electroweak force, which only includes 4 scalar fields.

5. Can the number of scalar fields in GUT theories vary?

Yes, the number of scalar fields in GUT theories can vary depending on the specific theory and its predictions. Some theories may include more or less scalar fields than others.