How many times does cos(96πt)cos(4πt)=0 during t=0 to t=1s?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving the equation cos(96πt)cos(4πt)=0 and finding the number of times the left-hand side becomes 0 during the time t=0 to t=1s. The solution involves understanding that a product of numbers is 0 only if at least one number is 0, and using that to find values of t for which cos(96πt)cos(4πt)=0. The final answer is 90 values of t.
zorro

Homework Statement

This problem came up while solving a physics problem in waves.
We have the equation cos(96πt)cos(4πt)=0
How many times does the L.H.S. become 0 during the time t=0 to t=1s ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Nothing.

Physics news on Phys.org
A product of numbers is 0 only if at least one number is 0. cos(x) is 0 when x is an odd multiple of [itex]\pi/2[/itex]. For what values of t is 192t an odd integer? For what values of t is 8t an odd integer?

HallsofIvy said:
For what values of t is 192t an odd integer?

t can be 1/192, 1/64 and for second case t=1/8 only. But 3 times is not the correct answer.

I have no idea what you are doing! I get 192/2= 96 values of t so that 192t is an odd integer (so that [itex]cos(96\pi t)= 0[/itex]) and 8/2= 4 values of t so that 8t is an odd integer (and [itex]cos(4\pi t)= 0[/itex]). That gives a total of 90 values of t for which [itex]cos(96\pi t)cos(4\pi t)= 0[/itex].

Even I have no idea what you did :biggrin:. Anyway I was wrong earlier.
Why did you divide 192 and 8 by 2? What do we get by doing that?

Somebody help me out!

You are looking for t such that 192t is an odd integer. 192t= 1 if t= 1/192, of course, but also, 192t= 3 if t= 3/192, 192t= 5 if t= 5/192, etc. We can do that for every odd integer up to 192- and 192/2 of the integers less than 192 are odd.

ohh..its that way!. Sometimes simple things become very complex.
I understood it now. Thank you :smile:

Related to How many times does cos(96πt)cos(4πt)=0 during t=0 to t=1s?

1. What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, tangent, and their inverses. These equations involve angles as variables and are used to solve for unknown values in triangles and other geometric shapes.

2. What types of problems can be solved using trigonometric equations?

Trigonometric equations can be used to solve a variety of problems, including finding missing side lengths and angles in triangles, solving real-world applications involving angles and distances, and analyzing periodic functions in mathematics and physics.

3. How do you solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you must use algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. The solution can then be found by using inverse trigonometric functions or by graphing the equation and finding the intersection points.

4. What are the common trigonometric identities used in solving equations?

Some common trigonometric identities used in solving equations include the Pythagorean identities (sin²θ + cos²θ = 1), the sum and difference identities (sin(α ± β) = sinα cosβ ± cosα sinβ), and the double angle identities (sin2θ = 2sinθ cosθ).

5. Are there any special techniques for solving trigonometric equations?

Yes, there are some special techniques for solving specific types of trigonometric equations. These include using the unit circle, using trigonometric substitutions, and applying the laws of sines and cosines. It is important to identify the type of equation and choose the appropriate technique for solving it.