How much can you self-plagiarize

• Physics
  • Thread starter BillKet
  • Start date
In summary: DaveC426913 @DaleIf you are using the same data but analyzing it differently then it is fine. Just cite yourself in the article. If you are using the same data but analyzing it the same then it is fine too. Just cite yourself in the article.
BillKet
Hello! I am writing a paper resulted from a given experiment, but I already published a paper before from the same experiment. The topic of the papers (the obtained results) are different (hence why there are 2 papers), but the introduction and especially the methods sections are basically identical (it is what we did with the data that is different). Can I just copy paste parts from the old paper, or slightly rephrase them, or is that considered plagiarism. And if so, how should I proceed? The experimental setup is absolutely identical in both cases. How should I proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to cite yourself to avoid plagiarism, just the same as if you had replicated someone else’s experiment. You also need to explicitly identify that you are re-analyzing data that was already published. This has statistical consequences.

• Informative
Likes hutchphd and berkeman
Dale said:
You need to cite yourself to avoid plagiarism, just the same as if you had replicated someone else’s experiment. You also need to explicitly identify that you are re-analyzing data that was already published. This has statistical consequences.
Thank you for your reply! Yes, I will cite myself. My questions was more along the lines, do I need to rephrase certain paragraphs (that basically have exactly the same content) or can I just copy and paste them (with the right citation to myself)? Actually I am not re-analyzing data. This data is from the same experiment, but it was not related to the first analysis.

BillKet said:
Actually I am not re-analyzing data. This data is from the same experiment, but it was not related to the first analysis.
Ah, ok. Then you don’t need to do more than cite yourself.

BillKet said:
do I need to rephrase certain paragraphs (that basically have exactly the same content) or can I just copy and paste them (with the right citation to myself)?
That is up to you. I would probably not do either in favor of simply referring to the technique by reference. In other words, I would only summarize the experiment with all details done by reference, similar to how I would cite someone else whose experiment I were replicating. But that is up to you.

Last edited:
BillKet said:
(it is what we did with the data that is different).
BillKet said:
Actually I am not re-analyzing data. This data is from the same experiment, but it was not related to the first analysis.
Dale said:
Ah, ok. Then you don’t need to do more than cite yourself.

Sorry, In your OP you say you "did something different with the data", yet you then say "Actually I am not re-analyzing data."
That seems contradictory at first glance. @Dale, do you not think so?

DaveC426913 said:
That seems contradictory at first glance. @Dale, do you not think so?
It did confuse me, at least.

For clarity, suppose that in your experiment you collected 100 pieces of data and analyzed 75 of them with some technique. Then if you are analyzing the remaining 25 pieces of data there is little concern (except if you selected those 25 systematically from the whole sample). If you are analyzing some of the 75 pieces of data then it is a statistical consent even if the analysis is completely different.

Last edited:
Dale said:
It did confuse me, at least.

For clarity, suppose that in your experiment you collected 100 pieces of data and analyzed 75 of them with some technique. Then if you are analyzing the remaining 25 pieces of data there is little concern (except if you selected those 25 systematically from the whole sample). If you are analyzing some of the 75 pieces of data then it is a statistical consent even if the analysis is completely different.
@DaveC426913 @Dale I am using data from the same experiment, but the 2 data sets are independent. For example, from a molecular spectroscopy experiment, one paper would be about the lifetime of certain low laying states, while the second one would be about the ionization potential. The data was all taken within the same experiment (of course the wavelength of the laser was adjusted, but everything else was the same), but the 2 data sets are completely different and you can't use one data set to statistically improve the other.

Likes DaveC426913
BillKet said:
you can't use one data set to statistically improve the other
That isn’t the relevant statistical issue, but from what you describe the data should be fine. From what you describe it sounds more like two experiments run in parallel.

The issue is about multiple comparisons. If you conduct further analysis of the same data then you increase the p-value of your previously published study. (You also increase the p-value if you perform additional analysis that you don’t report)

Related to How much can you self-plagiarize

1. How much can I self-plagiarize before it becomes unethical?

Self-plagiarism is considered unethical when it involves reusing significant portions of your own previously published work without proper citation or acknowledgment. Therefore, the amount of self-plagiarism that is deemed unethical may vary depending on the context and guidelines set by your institution or publication. It is always best to seek guidance from your supervisor or editor to determine the acceptable level of self-plagiarism in your field.

2. Can I self-plagiarize within the same document?

Self-plagiarism can occur within the same document if you use the same language or ideas without proper citation. It is important to always cite your own work, even if it is within the same document, to avoid self-plagiarism.

3. Is self-plagiarism a form of copyright infringement?

Self-plagiarism is not considered copyright infringement since you are not plagiarizing someone else's work. However, it can still be unethical and can lead to consequences such as rejection of publication or revocation of a degree.

4. Can I use my own work in multiple publications?

Using your own work in multiple publications is acceptable as long as proper citation and acknowledgement are given. However, it is important to avoid excessive self-plagiarism and to ensure that the new publication adds significant value to the existing body of work.

5. Are there any tools to detect self-plagiarism?

There are several plagiarism detection tools available that can help identify instances of self-plagiarism. However, these tools should not be solely relied upon and it is ultimately the responsibility of the author to avoid self-plagiarism by properly citing their own work.