How Much Clamping Force to Prevent a Ball from Slipping in Robotic Grippers?

In summary, the problem involves finding the clamping force required to prevent a ball from slipping out of grippers that have a static friction coefficient of 0.5. The ball has a weight of 10 lb and is attached to a robot arm with an angular velocity of 5 rad/s. Using equations for motion, velocity, and acceleration, the components of acceleration were determined to be 0 for tangential and 106.07 ft/s^2 for normal. The force diagram showed that the contact forces from the grippers would oppose each other, but the friction force would be perpendicular to the acceleration and contribute to its magnitude. By considering components in the i and k directions, the system of equations was solved to find the required cl
Cataracts

Homework Statement

The static friction coefficient between the grippers and the ball is 0.5, and the grippers
hold the ball such that they touch the middle of the ball on opposite sides.

Find the clamping force required to keep the ball from slipping out, if the ball weighs 10 lb.

us= 0.5
Mass of ball = 10 lb
gravity = 9.81 m/s^2

Angular velocity (wd) = 5 rad/s = Angular velocity of robot arm as they are attached.

Homework Equations

rc=4cos45 + 2sin45 = 4.243 ft
Motion of point C
Vc = (wr)(rc)
ar=[itex]\alpha[/itex]rc
an= wr^2 (rc)
ac= sqrt(ar^2 + an^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above equations and the givens I found the rc which I used along with wr to solve for Vc.

Vc = ( 5.0 rad/s) ( 4.243 ft) = 21.2 ft/s

Then solved for both components of acceleration where :

at= [itex]\alpha[/itex] rc = 0
an= wr^2 x rc = 25 x 4.243ft = 106.07 ft/s^2

Then solved for magnitude which just equalled the normal acceleration

ac= 106.07 rad/s^2

Currently stuck on what to do for the second part of the question. I understand that I need to do a force FBD as I am given us and the mass of the ball. Noting that the pincers touch the middle of the ball on both sides, wouldn't that mean the contact forces oppose each other ( equal and opposite direction ) ?

Attachments

• ps3 q 3.jpg
    ps3 q 3.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 444
Physics news on Phys.org
Cataracts said:
ac= 106.07 rad/s^2

Currently stuck on what to do for the second part of the question. I understand that I need to do a force FBD as I am given us and the mass of the ball. Noting that the pincers touch the middle of the ball on both sides, wouldn't that mean the contact forces oppose each other ( equal and opposite direction ) ?

Yes.

The sum of the forces acting on that ball must produce that acceleration, otherwise the ball isn't going to follow the circular path as you've assumed. The grip will be equal, opposite and perpendicular to that acceleration so that alone cannot produce that acceleration. But then there's the friction...

Last edited:
I realized that movement was only constrained in the j direction, therefore there was a k and i direction force of friction. I then gathered components in those directions and solved the system giving me the answer ! Thanks for the guidance !

Related to How Much Clamping Force to Prevent a Ball from Slipping in Robotic Grippers?

1. What is a dynamics friction problem?

A dynamics friction problem is a type of physics problem that involves the study of forces and motion in systems where friction is present. It typically involves calculating the effects of friction on the movement of objects.

2. How do you calculate friction force in a dynamics problem?

In a dynamics friction problem, the friction force can be calculated using the formula Ff = μN, where Ff is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force exerted on the object by the surface.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of friction in a dynamics problem?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by a variety of factors, including the nature of the surface, the roughness of the surface, and the weight of the object. It can also vary depending on the speed and temperature of the objects in contact.

4. How does friction affect the motion of an object in a dynamics problem?

Friction can have a significant impact on the motion of an object in a dynamics problem. It can slow down the motion of an object, change its direction, or even cause it to come to a complete stop. In some cases, friction can also increase the speed of an object if it is moving in the same direction as the applied force.

5. How can friction be minimized in a dynamics problem?

The best way to minimize friction in a dynamics problem is to reduce the force between the two surfaces in contact. This can be achieved by using lubricants, smoothing out rough surfaces, or using materials with lower coefficients of friction. In some cases, friction can also be minimized by reducing the weight of the object or increasing the speed at which it is moving.