How shall we call these types of integrals in Complex Analysis?

In summary: It's not always easy to see what the integral is "really" doing.In summary, an infinity symbol, enclosed by a positive oriented path and closed, differentiable loop, represents the antiderivative of the integral's integrand. The figure 8 that is broken at the crossing point to be treated as two separate integrals has no residues and so the Residue Theorem cannot be applied.
jackmell
[tex]\mathop\int\limits_{\infty} \log[(z-1)(z+1)]dz=A(z)\biggr|_0^0=4\pi i[/tex]

The infinity symbol below the integral is a positive-oriented, closed, and differentiable path over the function looping around both branch-points and A(z) is the antiderivative of the integrand. I mean would that hold for all of them? You know, like 2 pi i times the number of branch-points? Don't know but probably depends on what direction you're going around them. Integrals like this I think are interesting but not really discussed in classes right? I mean, when have you ever seen something like this anyway? Not really in books and yet it is perfectly consistent with the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. Isn't it? I think we should explicitly identify them as a particular type of integral more than just a 2-dimensional contour integral. Maybe a 3-D contour integal but that's too wordy. What do you guys think? Have they already been named and I just don't know?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "looping around both of them"? Do you mean, for example, a circle that contains both of them or are you thinking about an actual "figure 8" path so that one pole is contained in one lobe and the othe pole in the other lobe?

In the first case, the integral is [itex]2\pi i[/itex] times the sum of the residues. In the second case, because we are going around one pole counter-clockwise and the other clockwise, the integral is [itex]2\pi i[/itex] times the difference of the residues. (The one you go around clockwise subtracted from the one you go about counter clockwise.)

You might not realize that you have seen such things, and no special name is given to them, because the simplest thing to do is, as I did, to "break" the figure 8 at the cross over point and do it as two separate integrals.

HallsofIvy said:
What do you mean by "looping around both of them"? Do you mean, for example, a circle that contains both of them or are you thinking about an actual "figure 8" path so that one pole is contained in one lobe and the othe pole in the other lobe?

In the first case, the integral is [itex]2\pi i[/itex] times the sum of the residues. In the second case, because we are going around one pole counter-clockwise and the other clockwise, the integral is [itex]2\pi i[/itex] times the difference of the residues. (The one you go around clockwise subtracted from the one you go about counter clockwise.)

You might not realize that you have seen such things, and no special name is given to them, because the simplest thing to do is, as I did, to "break" the figure 8 at the cross over point and do it as two separate integrals.

Hall, those are not poles so thus have no residues so I believe the Residue Theorem cannot be applied here. I'm using strictly the value of the antiderivative evaluated at the end point minus the start point to arive at the value given:

[tex]A(z)\biggr|_0^0=\biggr(-2z-\log(1-z)+\log(1+z)+z\log(z^2-1)\biggr)_0^0=4\pi i[/tex]

Anoying isn't it? That's part of the point I wish (hope) to make.

Last edited:

Related to How shall we call these types of integrals in Complex Analysis?

1. What is the definition of an integral in Complex Analysis?

An integral in Complex Analysis is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a complex plane. It is similar to the traditional integral in calculus, but involves integrating functions of complex variables instead of real variables.

2. How do you classify integrals in Complex Analysis?

Integrals in Complex Analysis can be classified into two main types: line integrals and contour integrals. Line integrals involve integrating a function along a curve in the complex plane, while contour integrals involve integrating a function around a closed curve.

3. What is the significance of Cauchy's Integral Theorem in Complex Analysis?

Cauchy's Integral Theorem is an important result in Complex Analysis that states that the integral of a function along a closed curve is equal to the sum of the values of the function at all points inside the curve. This theorem has many applications in complex analysis, including the evaluation of contour integrals and the proof of Cauchy's Integral Formula.

4. Can integrals in Complex Analysis be evaluated using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

No, the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus cannot be directly applied to evaluate integrals in Complex Analysis. This is because the integrands in Complex Analysis involve functions of complex variables, which cannot be differentiated in the same way as real functions.

5. How are integrals in Complex Analysis related to the study of analytic functions?

Integrals in Complex Analysis are closely related to the study of analytic functions. In fact, Cauchy's Integral Formula relates the value of an integral along a closed curve to the values of a function at all points inside the curve. This allows us to use contour integrals to evaluate complex integrals and vice versa, making them powerful tools in the study of analytic functions.