How to add a few logic symbols to LyX?

In summary: If you're not into math/science, that's totally cool, too. LaTeX is easy enough to learn that you don't need to be a math genius to be productive with it!
Liji.h

Homework Statement

I think LyX is a great program. However, as a beginner, I am having trouble with adding new symbols.

I am taking a Mathematical Logic course as a graduate student, as the assignments get harder and harder, the default mathematics symbols simply don't cut it anymore, so my professor gave me 2 sty files(see attached).

I am running a windows vista 64bit

my LyX installation path is

C:\Program Files (x86)\LyX16

my latex installation path is(i think)

C:\CTEX\MiKTeX

will someone please kindly explain what exactly i need to do? I am not a lazy person that expects everything to be fed to me, I have tried to figure out this myself, but after roughly 5.5 hours of trying(google for and follow instructions), I simply realized, it's beyond my capability.

I have three classmates who I introduced LyX to, so they know even less about LyX. We are trying to submit our term project by next Friday, we have everything figured out we just need to type everything up. I promised them that I will figure out a solution this weekend because I didn't think it would be this hard.

I give my sincere thanks to anyone that tries to help.

Attachments

• sytfile.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 210
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ask the guy that gave you the files??

my professor doesn't even use Lyx...he uses more advanced editors...

If you have the MiKTeX installation, the default TeXworks editor should be installed. However, it's basically a more advanced version of notepad, or less advanced version of Emacs / VI--i.e. it's for coding in. Which is fine, since [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] (actual LaTeX) is more like coding, rather than the WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) word processors that most of us have used most of our lives.

LyX allows you to enter inline LaTeX equations, giving you access to the full array of (built-in) LaTeX equation (and symbol) writing goodness, as per page 8 of the following LyX tutorial document:
http://www.math.tamu.edu/~phoward/m442/lyx141.pdf

How do you find the LaTeX code which would give you your desired results? Today, I was looking for the less-than-or-equal-to symbol. So I Googled for the phrase 'less than equal to in latex' and up popped the result: $\leq$

(Note that the $ signs tell LaTeX that the stuff in-between them is in the math mode or math environment. LyX probably just let's you get away with writing in a \leq -- unless, as the tutorial alludes to, you wish to turn math mode on and off within a math equation!)

I'm somewhat skeptical that the .sty files allow you to unlock secret symbols (too much Civ? Nah...) as these are style documents that (usually) define formatting and style. On the other hand, these might, for instance, include the amsmath library and allow access to the symbols included therein. LyX should also allow you to include these packages, and with the in-line editor, make use of them.

When you finally have an hour or two (that's actually all it takes!) I'd highly recommend taking the red pill and diving past the colourful and friendly-looking LyX and into the real world of [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] by going over "The (Not So) Short Introduction to LaTeX2e", available along with other documents (such as the cheat sheet hanging over my desk) and tutorials at:
http://www.tug.org/begin.html

Good luck!

EDIT: If you're in a 'mathy' field (e.g. math, physics, EE, CS, etc.) knowledge of LaTeX is almost a requirement, and is the de-facto standard. Heck, as you've seen above, it's so ubiquitous that even PhysicsForums can interpret it!

I understand the frustration of encountering difficulties while trying to use a new program. In order to add new logic symbols to LyX, you will need to follow a few steps. Firstly, make sure that the sty files provided by your professor are saved in the same directory as your LyX document. Then, open your LyX document and go to Document > Settings > LaTeX preamble. In the text box, add the following line: \usepackage{filename}, where "filename" is the name of the sty file provided by your professor. This will allow LyX to recognize the new symbols.

Next, go to Insert > Math > Custom and you should see a list of symbols that have been added. You can also use the Insert > Math > Symbol menu to search for specific symbols. If the symbols still do not appear, you may need to refresh the LyX document by going to Document > Settings > Reconfigure.

If you continue to have trouble, it may be helpful to consult LyX's user guide or reach out to their support team for further assistance. I wish you and your classmates the best of luck on your term project.

Related to How to add a few logic symbols to LyX?

1. What are logic symbols and why would I need to add them to LyX?

Logic symbols are graphical representations of logical operations and relationships, such as conjunction, disjunction, and negation. They are commonly used in fields such as mathematics, computer science, and philosophy to represent complex ideas and arguments. Adding logic symbols to LyX can make your documents more visually organized and easier to understand.

2. How can I add logic symbols to my LyX document?

To add logic symbols to your LyX document, you can use the "Insert" menu and select "Math" or "Text" to access a library of symbols. Alternatively, you can use LaTeX code in an "ERT" (Evil Red Text) box to insert specific symbols. You can also customize your own shortcuts for frequently used symbols.

3. Can I use logic symbols in both math and text mode in LyX?

Yes, you can use logic symbols in both math and text mode in LyX. In math mode, the symbols will appear as part of a mathematical equation, while in text mode, they will appear as regular text. However, note that some symbols may not be available in both modes.

4. How can I change the size and appearance of logic symbols in LyX?

To change the size and appearance of logic symbols in LyX, you can use the "Size" and "Color" options in the "Properties" pane. You can also use LaTeX code to customize the symbols, such as adding a subscript or superscript.

5. Are there any useful resources for learning more about adding logic symbols in LyX?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning more about adding logic symbols in LyX. The official LyX documentation provides a detailed guide on using math and text mode, as well as a list of available symbols. You can also find tutorials and forums on the LyX community website, where you can ask for help or share tips with other LyX users.