How to Calculate Earth’s Number Density: Iron vs Proton Mass Method

In summary, the conversation discusses the best way to calculate the number density of Earth and whether assuming Iron or the average particle mass of a proton would be more accurate. The topic of calculating the mass of a small black hole passing through Earth is also brought up, with a question about its potential interaction with matter and its possible oscillation. The conversation also mentions using specific minerals, such as silicate, to estimate a mean number density for the Earth.
Planters99
I was wondering what is the best way to calculate the number density of earth? Should we assume that the Earth is mostly Iron and calculate the N from there or should we assume the average particle mass is the mass of a proton?

Also if a small black hole is created on Earth and makes one passage through Earth how can we calculate the mass it sweeps up? I calculated the mean free path of this black hole created from two protons colliding and I get a mean free path that is extremely large >>>>>> the diameter of earth. Does this mean the black hole will not interact with anything and go right through earth? I am not quite sure about this because don't black holes oscillate?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Planters99 said:
I was wondering what is the best way to calculate the number density of earth? Should we assume that the Earth is mostly Iron and calculate the N from there or should we assume the average particle mass is the mass of a proton?
Or you could Wiki it: 5.5153 g/cm³

That is density not number density. Number density is number of particles over volume and basically my question is what is the best particle to use for the Earth Iron? Proton? Electron?

Without looking at specific minerals, the best you could calculate would be a mean number density. Oxygen and silicon are the most abundant elements in the Earth's crust, so silicate (SiO_3) might give you a reasonable starting point for a rough calculation.

Related to How to Calculate Earth’s Number Density: Iron vs Proton Mass Method

1. What is the number density of Earth?

The number density of Earth refers to the average number of particles per unit volume of the Earth's atmosphere or surface. It is typically expressed in units of particles per cubic meter.

2. How is the number density of Earth calculated?

The number density of Earth is calculated by dividing the total number of particles in the Earth's atmosphere or surface by the total volume of the Earth. This calculation takes into account the varying densities of different atmospheric layers and surface materials.

3. What factors can affect the number density of Earth?

The number density of Earth can be affected by a variety of factors, including atmospheric temperature, pressure, and composition, as well as the types and quantities of particles present in the atmosphere and on the surface.

4. What is the average number density of Earth's atmosphere?

The average number density of Earth's atmosphere is approximately 2.5×1019 particles per cubic meter. However, this value can vary significantly depending on location, altitude, and other factors.

5. How does the number density of Earth compare to that of other planets?

The number density of Earth is relatively high compared to other planets in our solar system. It is significantly higher than that of gas giants like Jupiter and Saturn, but lower than that of terrestrial planets like Mercury, Venus, and Mars.