How to calculate slope for data set

In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with computing the slope of plotted data due to too much data and measurement errors. Two potential solutions are suggested: fitting a curve to the data using optimization techniques, or aggregating the data into bins and plotting the average values.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I have some data (y-value data and x-value data) which I can plot to make a curve (see attachment, the top curve). However, when trying to compute the slope of this data I have an issue (see attachment, the bottom "curve"). The formula I am using for slope is ##(y_{i+1}-y_{i-1})/(2 \Delta x)##.

To me it seems the issue is I have way too much data. Many of the y data values for some small neighborhood in the domain are the same due to measurement errors (measuring can only be so accurate). Should I simply omit all but, say, every 10th data value? Is this scientifically acceptable (results will be published)?

I can explain more if you need. Thanks!

Attachments

• slope.pdf
    7.4 KB · Views: 228
Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like what you want to do is to fit a curve to the data. A couple of different things you could do are

1. Find a function with a few parameters that has the broad shape of the curve you drew, then use optimization techniques to estimate those parameters by something like minimizing sums of squares of errors. this is a non-linear equivalent of linear regression.

2. Aggregate data along the horizontal axis into bins and then just plot the average value for all observations in each bin.

Likes member 428835
Thanks andrewkirk! I'm on it!

Related to How to calculate slope for data set

1. What is the formula for calculating slope?

The formula for calculating slope is (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are two points on the line.

2. How do I find the coordinates of two points on a line?

To find the coordinates of two points on a line, you can either use the given data points or plot the data on a graph and read the coordinates from there.

3. Can I use any two points on the line to calculate slope?

Yes, you can use any two points on the line to calculate slope. However, it is recommended to use points that are easy to read and have a clear distance between them to avoid mistakes.

4. What does the slope value represent?

The slope value represents the rate of change between two variables. It tells us how much the dependent variable changes for every unit change in the independent variable.

5. Is there a difference between positive and negative slope?

Yes, there is a difference between positive and negative slope. A positive slope indicates a positive relationship between the variables, where an increase in the independent variable leads to an increase in the dependent variable. On the other hand, a negative slope indicates an inverse relationship, where an increase in the independent variable leads to a decrease in the dependent variable.