How to calculate the force required in this case?

• Thread starter koii123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of adhesives to prevent two PCBs from moving when a 50N force is applied in different directions. The objective is to calculate the average force per mm2 acting on the adhesive, assuming it is 1mm thick. The person asking for help has tried to find the answer but is unsure if their calculations are correct and is seeking assistance.
koii123

Homework Statement

I have two PCB (printed circuit board), and they are glued by adhesives, as show in the pictures.
And the location of the adhesives are indicated on the picture (please notice that NO adhesive is applied between the PCB boards).

50N force is applied on the upper PCB for each case (X, Y and Z directions). The objective of the use of the adhesive is to prevent the PCB from moving. And i need to calculate how much force per mm2 acting on the adhesive.

Suppose the adhesive applied is 1mm thick. How to calculate the average force acting on the adhesive in terms of N/mm2 in each case?

i have tried to find the answer, but i don't think my answers are correct. Because the forces acting the adhesive don't look like pure tensile or shear forces.

Can someone please help?

KRkczXi.jpg

oG0LcIf.jpg

nGPaTS4.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
We can only help after you have shown your work. Read the forum rules.

Related to How to calculate the force required in this case?

1. How do I determine the force required for a specific task?

The force required for a task can be calculated by using the equation F = ma, where F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration. You will need to know the mass of the object and the acceleration it will experience in order to calculate the force required.

2. What units should I use when calculating force?

The standard unit of force is Newtons (N), named after Sir Isaac Newton. However, you can also use other units such as pounds (lb) or kilograms (kg) as long as you are consistent throughout your calculations.

3. How can I determine the acceleration for a specific task?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it takes for that change to occur. This can be represented by the equation a = (vf - vi) / t, where a represents acceleration, vf represents final velocity, vi represents initial velocity, and t represents time.

4. What factors should I consider when calculating force?

When calculating force, it is important to consider the mass of the object, the acceleration it will experience, and any external forces acting on the object. Friction, air resistance, and gravity are some common external forces that may need to be taken into account.

5. Can I use a calculator to determine the force required?

Yes, you can use a calculator to help you with the calculations when determining the force required. However, it is important to understand the underlying equations and units involved in order to ensure accuracy and to be able to troubleshoot any errors that may arise.