How to calculate the frequency given a colour, angle, 100 slits/mm.

In summary, to calculate the wavelength in this scenario, you will need to use the equation v =∫λ and the information given: an angle of 3.4 degrees, a diffraction rating of 100 slits/mm, and the color purple. The condition for maximums in both diffraction gratings and the double slit experiment is the same, so you can use the equation λ = 100 slits/mm * sin(3.4 degrees) * purple to find the wavelength.
Ninja_Truth
So for my assignment I have to calculate the wavelength given an angle, colour, 100 slits/mm diffraction rating but no frequency.
Angle = 3.4 degrees
Colour = Purple

For v =∫λ,
I need the wavelength or frequency to work out anything, v is the speed of light. But I cannot see how to find this without the frequency and I need a wavelength to work out the frequency.

Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a textbook that covers diffraction gratings, or the double slit experiment? The condition for the maximums is actually the same in both cases.

From this equation you will be able to find λ

Related to How to calculate the frequency given a colour, angle, 100 slits/mm.

1. How do you calculate the frequency given a color and angle?

The frequency can be calculated using the formula f = sin(angle)/wavelength, where the wavelength can be determined by converting the given color to its corresponding wavelength using a color spectrum chart.

2. What is the significance of 100 slits/mm in the frequency calculation?

The 100 slits/mm is the number of slits per unit length in a diffraction grating, which is used to separate the different colors in a light spectrum. It is important in the frequency calculation because it affects the angle of diffraction, which in turn affects the wavelength and frequency of light.

3. Can the frequency be calculated without knowing the angle?

No, the angle of diffraction is necessary in the frequency calculation because it affects the wavelength of light. Without knowing the angle, the wavelength cannot be determined and therefore the frequency cannot be calculated.

4. How do you convert a color to its corresponding wavelength?

A color spectrum chart can be used to determine the corresponding wavelength of a color. This chart shows the visible light spectrum and the wavelength range for each color. Alternatively, there are online tools and apps that can also help with this conversion.

5. What units are used to measure frequency?

The unit for frequency is hertz (Hz), which is equivalent to cycles per second. It can also be measured in kilohertz (kHz), megahertz (MHz), or gigahertz (GHz) for higher frequencies.