How to calculate yielding load for a concrete block?

In summary: Axial compressive stress is the stress that is exerted on an element when the area of the element is multiplied by the magnitude of the stress.
Pinj
Hi all,

I am trying to calculate by hand the maximum load that a concrete 1m x 1m x 1m block can take before failing. The load is applied uniformly across the top of the block.

I've found out that the average compressive strength of concrete is 70 MPa. Is there a formula that makes use of the compressive strength value to find the maximum load?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Finding the ultimate load of a concrete block

Homework Statement

My design project involves stacking up concrete cubes into a tower (think Giza Pyramids). Each cube measures 1 metre on each side and weighs 500kg. How many of such cubes can be stacked on top of one another before the one at the very bottom fails (ie. crushed).

Given that the compressive strength of concrete is 40 MPa or 40x10^6 N/m2.

Homework Equations

Pressure = Force / Area

The Attempt at a Solution

40x10^6 = Force / 1m2
Max. Force = 40x10^6 N

Number of cubes = Max. Force / force exerted by one cube
= (40x10^6) / (500 x 10)
= 8000 cubes

Somehow I think it ought to be more complicated than this because the depth or thickness of the material should also have an effect on the strength of the cube. Please advise, thank you!

Concrete cubes under uniform uniaxial compression fail in diagonal shear.

This is the standard method for testing concrete although the cube size is rather smaller than a one metre cube.

The method and relevant formulae can be found in BS 1881 part 116 : Methods for determination of compressive strength of concrete cubes.

Last edited:
(2 threads merged)

Pinj said:
Hi all,

I am trying to calculate by hand the maximum load that a concrete 1m x 1m x 1m block can take before failing. The load is applied uniformly across the top of the block.

I've found out that the average compressive strength of concrete is 70 MPa. Is there a formula that makes use of the compressive strength value to find the maximum load?

Thanks!
What is the definition of axial compressive stress?

Related to How to calculate yielding load for a concrete block?

1. What is the definition of yielding load for a concrete block?

The yielding load for a concrete block is the maximum amount of weight or force that the block can withstand before it starts to deform or break.

2. How do you calculate the yielding load for a concrete block?

The yielding load for a concrete block can be calculated by multiplying the cross-sectional area of the block by the compressive strength of the concrete material. This value is typically given in pounds (lbs) or kilonewtons (kN).

3. What factors affect the yielding load for a concrete block?

The yielding load for a concrete block is affected by several factors, including the dimensions and shape of the block, the type and strength of the concrete material, and the level of reinforcement within the block.

4. Can the yielding load for a concrete block vary?

Yes, the yielding load for a concrete block can vary depending on the type of loading (e.g. tension, compression, bending), the age and condition of the block, and the environmental conditions (e.g. temperature, humidity) that the block is exposed to.

5. Why is it important to calculate the yielding load for a concrete block?

Calculating the yielding load for a concrete block is important in ensuring the structural integrity and safety of a building or structure. It helps engineers and construction professionals determine the appropriate size and strength of the blocks to be used, and to ensure that they are able to withstand the expected loads and stresses placed upon them.