How to Compute a Definite Integral with Symmetry: The Case of $f(-x)=f(x)$

In summary, a definite integral challenge is a mathematical problem that involves finding the area under a curve within a specific range. To solve it, one must determine the function and boundaries and then use integration techniques. The purpose of this challenge is to test understanding and enhance problem-solving skills. Some tips for solving it include understanding basic rules and breaking the problem into smaller parts. Definite integrals have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Suppose $f(-x)=f(x)$, then compute the following definite integral:

\(\displaystyle \int_{-a}^{a}\frac{1}{1+2^{f(x)}}\,dx\) where $0<a\in\mathbb{R}$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
$$\int_{-a}^{a} \frac{d x}{1+2^{f(x)}} = \int_{0}^{a} \frac{dx}{1+2^{f(x)}} + \int_{-a}^{0} \frac{dx}{1+2^{f(x)}} = \int_{0}^{a} \frac{dx}{1+2^{f(x)}} + \int_{0}^{a} \frac{dx}{1+2^{f(x)}} = 2\int_{0}^{a} \frac{dx}{1+2^{f(x)}}$$

Note : Although not related to the original problem that was meant, it is not worthless to note that the calculations above works only if $\frac{1}{1+2^{f(x)}}$ has no vertical asymptotes.

Last edited:
mathbalarka said:
$$\int_{-a}^{a} \frac{d x}{1+2^{f(x)}} = \int_{0}^{a} \frac{dx}{1+2^{f(x)}} + \int_{-a}^{0} \frac{dx}{1+2^{f(x)}} = \int_{0}^{a} \frac{dx}{1+2^{f(x)}} + \int_{0}^{a} \frac{dx}{1+2^{f(x)}} = 2\int_{0}^{a} \frac{dx}{1+2^{f(x)}}$$

Haha...that is quite correct (well done!)...but I messed up and actually meant for $f$ to be odd, i.e.:

\(\displaystyle f(-x)=-f(x)\)

(Bug)

$$\int_{-a}^{a} \frac{dx}{1+2^{f(x)}} = \int_{0}^{a} \frac{dx}{1+2^{f(x)}} + \int_{-a}^{0} \frac{dx}{1+2^{f(x)}} = \int_{0}^{a} \frac{dx}{1+2^{f(x)}} - \int_{a}^{0} \frac{dx}{1+2^{f(-x)}} = \int_{0}^{a} \frac{dx}{1+2^{f(x)}} + \int_{0}^{a} \frac{dx}{1+2^{-f(x)}} \\ = \int_{0}^{a} \left ( \frac{1}{1+2^{f(x)}} + \frac{1}{1+2^{-f(x)}} \right ) dx = \int_{0}^{a} \frac{2 + 2^{f(x)} + 2^{-f(x)}}{2 + 2^{f(x)} + 2^{-f(x)}} dx = a$$

mathbalarka said:
$$\int_{-a}^{a} \frac{dx}{1+2^{f(x)}} = \int_{0}^{a} \frac{dx}{1+2^{f(x)}} + \int_{-a}^{0} \frac{dx}{1+2^{f(x)}} = \int_{0}^{a} \frac{dx}{1+2^{f(x)}} - \int_{a}^{0} \frac{dx}{1+2^{f(-x)}} = \int_{0}^{a} \frac{dx}{1+2^{f(x)}} + \int_{0}^{a} \frac{dx}{1+2^{-f(x)}} \\ = \int_{0}^{a} \left ( \frac{1}{1+2^{f(x)}} + \frac{1}{1+2^{-f(x)}} \right ) dx = \int_{0}^{a} \frac{2 + 2^{f(x)} + 2^{-f(x)}}{2 + 2^{f(x)} + 2^{-f(x)}} dx = a$$

That's correct! :D

Here's my solution:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_{-a}^{a}\frac{1}{1+2^{f(x)}}\,dx\)

\(\displaystyle I=\int_{-a}^{a}\frac{1}{1+2^{f(x)}}-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2}\,dx\)

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{2}\int_{-a}^{a}\frac{1-2^{f(x)}}{1+2^{f(x)}}+\frac{1}{2}\int_{-a}^{a}\,dx\)

The first integrand is odd, and the second even, hence:

\(\displaystyle I=0+\int_0^a\,dx=a\)

Great thread! (Heidy) :D

Related to How to Compute a Definite Integral with Symmetry: The Case of $f(-x)=f(x)$

1. What is a definite integral challenge?

A definite integral challenge is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the area under a curve within a specific range. It is a common challenge for students studying calculus and is used to test their understanding of integration concepts.

2. How do you solve a definite integral challenge?

To solve a definite integral challenge, you first need to determine the function and the boundaries of the integral. Then, you can use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution to evaluate the integral and find the area under the curve within the given range.

3. What is the purpose of a definite integral challenge?

The purpose of a definite integral challenge is to test a student's understanding of integration concepts and their ability to apply those concepts to solve a problem. It also helps to strengthen their problem-solving skills and enhance their mathematical reasoning.

4. Are there any tips for solving a definite integral challenge?

Some tips for solving a definite integral challenge include understanding the basic integration rules, practicing with different types of integrals, and breaking the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. It is also helpful to draw a graph or use an online calculator to visualize the function and its boundaries.

5. What are some real-world applications of definite integrals?

Definite integrals have many real-world applications, such as calculating areas and volumes of irregular shapes, finding the center of mass of an object, and determining the total distance traveled by an object with varying velocity. They are also used in physics, engineering, and economics to solve various problems and make predictions.