How to construct a map from S^2 to RP^2 with covering time being unity?

In summary, it is easy to construct a map from S^2 to S^2, with covering time being unity, but how to do the similar task on the projected manifold RP^2=S^2/Z_2 is not clear.
wdlang
it is easy to construct a map from S^2 to S^2, with covering time being unity

but how to do the similar task on the projected manifold RP^2=S^2/Z_2?

i tried to use the stereographical trick

the points on the lower half semisphere are projected onto the plane

the problem is that the infinity point on the plane is mapped to the circle, which is not a single point on RP^2.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not clear to me what you are trying to get. What is a "map with covering time being unity"?

quasar987 said:
It is not clear to me what you are trying to get. What is a "map with covering time being unity"?

we know the homotopy group

\pi_2(RP^2)=Z

i want to construct an element with the covering time being 1

Still don't get it. An element of \pi_2(RP^2) is the homotopy class of a map S²-->RP². What is this buisiness about "covering time"?

quasar987 said:
Still don't get it. An element of \pi_2(RP^2) is the homotopy class of a map S²-->RP². What is this buisiness about "covering time"?

you can call it the winding number

quasar987 said:
You mean the degree?!? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degree_of_a_continuous_mapping

But then RP² is non orientable...so how are you defining the degree of map S²-->RP²?

Afaik, the degree is only defined mod 2 in this case.

i do not know this at all

but could we construct a mapping in the class of [1]?

if we use the identity map to map s2 to s2 and then project to rp2

i guess the mapping is in the class of [2].

So now it seems like you're talking about finding a map f:S²-->RP² that is a generator of [tex]\pi_2(RP^2)=Z[/tex].

But that is easy given the usually way of determing [tex]\pi_2(RP^2)[/tex].

Namely, under the projection (or quotient) map pi:S²-->RP², S² is a fiber bundle over RP^2 of fiber S^0={-1,1}. So there is a long exact sequence of homotopy groups which around pi_2 looks like:

[tex]0=\pi_2(S^0)\rightarrow \pi_2(S^2)\stackrel{\pi_*}{\rightarrow} \pi_2(RP^2)\rightarrow \pi_1(S^0)=0[/tex]

So [tex]\pi_*[/tex] is an isomorphism. And what does it do? It takes the class of the identity map [id:S^2\rightarrow S^2] (which is a generator of [tex]\pi_2(S^2)=Z[/tex])to the class of the projection map [\pi:S^2\rightarrow RP^2].

So the map that like you said is "the identity map to map s2 to s2 and then project to rp2", which is just the projection map pi:S²-->RP² is in fact a generator of [tex]\pi_2(RP^2)=Z[/tex].

quasar987 said:
So now it seems like you're talking about finding a map f:S²-->RP² that is a generator of [tex]\pi_2(RP^2)=Z[/tex].

But that is easy given the usually way of determing [tex]\pi_2(RP^2)[/tex].

Namely, under the projection (or quotient) map pi:S²-->RP², S² is a fiber bundle over RP^2 of fiber S^0={-1,1}. So there is a long exact sequence of homotopy groups which around pi_2 looks like:

[tex]0=\pi_2(S^0)\rightarrow \pi_2(S^2)\stackrel{\pi_*}{\rightarrow} \pi_2(RP^2)\rightarrow \pi_1(S^0)=0[/tex]

So [tex]\pi_*[/tex] is an isomorphism. And what does it do? It takes the class of the identity map [id:S^2\rightarrow S^2] (which is a generator of [tex]\pi_2(S^2)=Z[/tex])to the class of the projection map [\pi:S^2\rightarrow RP^2].

So the map that like you said is "the identity map to map s2 to s2 and then project to rp2", which is just the projection map pi:S²-->RP² is in fact a generator of [tex]\pi_2(RP^2)=Z[/tex].

it seems that you have a profound awesome understanding of the subject

i will think of it

Related to How to construct a map from S^2 to RP^2 with covering time being unity?

1. How do I construct a map from S^2 to RP^2 with covering time being unity?

To construct a map from S^2 to RP^2 with covering time being unity, you can use the stereographic projection. First, choose a point on the S^2 sphere as the center of projection. Then, draw a line from this point to the north pole of the S^2 sphere. This line will intersect the S^2 sphere at a single point. This point represents the same point on the RP^2 sphere. Repeat this process for all points on the S^2 sphere to create the map.

2. What is the significance of having a covering time of unity in this map?

A covering time of unity means that every point on the RP^2 sphere is covered exactly once by the map from S^2 to RP^2. This is important because it ensures that the map is bijective, meaning that each point on the S^2 sphere corresponds to a unique point on the RP^2 sphere and vice versa.

3. Can I use a different projection method to construct this map?

Yes, there are multiple ways to construct a map from S^2 to RP^2 with covering time being unity. In addition to the stereographic projection, you can also use the gnomonic projection or the Lambert azimuthal equal-area projection.

4. How can I visualize this map?

To visualize this map, you can use a 3D software or a globe to plot the S^2 and RP^2 spheres. Then, you can use the projection method described in question 1 to draw the map from S^2 to RP^2. Alternatively, you can use mathematical software to plot the map and view it on a 2D plane.

5. Is this map a perfect representation of S^2 and RP^2?

No, this map is not a perfect representation of S^2 and RP^2. It is a two-dimensional representation of the two spheres and therefore, it will have some distortions. However, it is a useful and accurate representation for many applications.