How to define a value that is evaluated through iteration in COMSOL 4.0

In summary, the speaker is using the In-compressible Navier Stokes Module in laminar flow to solve for a rectangular region filled with fluid. The fluid contains cilia that move with a time and space-varying velocity, V=ycos(5t+6x), resulting in a net velocity, U. There is also a bulk/volume force acting on the fluid, which is a function of both U and V. To define U in COMSOL, a time-dependent expression can be set up that includes V and can be used in the definition of the bulk/volume force. Additionally, a time-dependent expression for the pressure gradient may need to be set up to solve the Navier Stokes equations.
Urmi Roy
Hi,

Here are the details in as concise a manner as possible:
1. I'm using In-compressible Navier Stokes Module in laminar flow, time dependent solution.
2.I have a rectangular region in which I have some fluid.
3.there are cilia inside the fluid, which move with a time and space-varying velocity V=ycos(5t+6x)\
4. However, the movement of the cilia is oscillatory, so the net velocity of the fluid is some other value, say U
5. there is a bulk/volume force acting on the fluid, which is a function of both U and V...say |F|=(U-V)...
6. Obviously, U is also time varying, and determined by V...so how do I define it in COMSOL?

Physics news on Phys.org
To define U in COMSOL, you can set up a time-dependent expression for U that contains the velocity of the cilia, V. This expression can then be used in the definition of the bulk/volume force, |F|. For example, you may set up U as U = ycos(5t+6x) + A, where A is a constant that determines the magnitude of the net velocity of the fluid. You would then use this expression for U in the definition of |F|, such that |F|=(U-V). Additionally, you may need to set up a time-dependent expression for the pressure gradient in order to solve the Navier Stokes equations.Hope this helps!

Related to How to define a value that is evaluated through iteration in COMSOL 4.0

1. How do I define a value that is evaluated through iteration in COMSOL 4.0?

In COMSOL 4.0, you can define a value that is evaluated through iteration by using the "Global Definitions" feature. This allows you to define a variable or expression that is evaluated at each iteration step in your simulation.

2. What is the difference between global and local definitions in COMSOL 4.0?

The main difference between global and local definitions in COMSOL 4.0 is the scope of their evaluation. Global definitions are evaluated at each iteration step and can be used throughout the entire model, while local definitions are evaluated only at the specific location or domain where they are defined.

3. Can I use a previous iteration value in my definition in COMSOL 4.0?

Yes, you can use a previous iteration value in your definition by using the "Previous Iteration" operator. This allows you to access the value from the previous iteration step and use it in your current iteration.

4. How can I edit or delete a global definition in COMSOL 4.0?

To edit or delete a global definition in COMSOL 4.0, go to the "Model Builder" and click on the "Global Definitions" button. This will open a window where you can select the definition you want to edit or delete and make the necessary changes.

5. Can I use a global definition in a post-processing plot in COMSOL 4.0?

Yes, you can use a global definition in a post-processing plot by selecting it from the "Global Definitions" tab in the "Expression Selection" window. This allows you to visualize the value of the definition at different points in your model.