How to Derive the Equation for HV Gaseous Breakdown?

In summary, the equation for HV gaseous breakdown can be derived by analyzing the Paschen curve, which plots the breakdown voltage of a gas at different pressures. By considering the breakdown mechanism and incorporating relevant parameters such as gas molecular weight and the mean free path, the equation can be derived and used to predict the breakdown voltage for different gas pressures. This equation is important in understanding and controlling high-voltage systems, such as in power transmission and electrical insulation.
Johnny Ghaddar
How did you find PF?
Google search while looking for some help in my physics assignment
Hello,

I am solving a dielectric materials assignment to derive the equation for the growth of current in a gap stressed with the high electric field. The equation is as follows:

1571179614424.png

The equation combines the anode, cathode and attachment process as shown below:

1571179709391.png

I have searched the following references but I am unable to find the required steps and assumptions.

Chapter5–ElectricalBreakdowninGasesin“HighVoltageEngineering-Fundamentals”,2ndEdition,E.Kuffel,W.S.Zaengl,andJ.Kuffel,Newnes,2000.
Chapter2–Conductionandbreakdowningases,inHighVoltageEngineering,2ndEdition,M.S.NaiduandV.Kamaraju,McGrawHill,2009.

I will appreciate any help from this forum. Please this is my first post here :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

The New Member Introduction forum is just for brief introductions, not for technical questions or schoolwork problem help.

Please re-post in the Homework Help, Introductory Physics forum, and please show how you would solve a simpler problem like with no dielectric. It is good that you have worked hard on this problem, but we need to see some of that work before we can offer tutorial help.

Thanks very much, and enjoy the PF! :smile: