How to draw tangent from point of inflection on a chart with peaks

In summary: I have to draw tangents at the point of inflection on the peaks.In summary, the conversation is about an assignment that requires drawing tangents from the point of inflection on a peak to the x-axis using qtiplot or excel. The speaker is unsure how to do this and asks for suggestions, while also mentioning difficulties with the phrase "point of inflection on a peak." One suggestion is to manually draw the tangent line, while another is to add a data series in excel. The conversation ends with the speaker mentioning the need for a professional appearance and the other person questioning if the assignment was quoted correctly. It is clarified that the assignment is for a chromatogram and tangents should be drawn at the point of inflection
selseg
Hi , I have an assignment which requires that I draw tangents from the point of inflection on a peak to the x-axis.I still cannot figure out how to do that using qtiplot or excel.

Physics news on Phys.org
selseg said:
Hi , I have an assignment which requires that I draw tangents from the point of inflection on a peak to the x-axis.I still cannot figure out how to do that using qtiplot or excel.
Can't you just print out the plot of the curve, and then manually draw in the tangent line?

selseg said:
I'm having a bit of a problem with the phrase "the point of inflection on a peak". Except for things like square waves, inflection points don't happen on peaks.

Are you quoting the assignment precisely?

In excel, you can add another data series to your plot and adjust the values accordingly to get any line you want.

I can , I thought it should look very professional.Sometimes I can't help thinking that way , thanks for drawing my attention to 'common sense'
.Scott said:
I'm having a bit of a problem with the phrase "the point of inflection on a peak". Except for things like square waves, inflection points don't happen on peaks.

Are you quoting the assignment precisely?
Its a chromatogram

Related to How to draw tangent from point of inflection on a chart with peaks

1. How do I identify the point of inflection on a chart with peaks?

The point of inflection is where the curve changes from concave up to concave down or vice versa. This can be identified by finding the point where the slope of the curve is equal to zero or by looking for a change in the direction of the curve.

2. Can I draw a tangent from any point of inflection on the chart?

Yes, you can draw a tangent from any point of inflection on the chart. However, the tangent will only be perpendicular to the curve at the point of inflection and may not intersect with any peaks on the chart.

3. How do I draw a tangent from a point of inflection on the chart?

To draw a tangent from a point of inflection, first identify the point of inflection on the chart. Then, draw a line that is perpendicular to the curve at that point. This line will be the tangent to the curve at the point of inflection.

4. What is the purpose of drawing a tangent from a point of inflection on the chart?

Drawing a tangent from a point of inflection can help us understand the behavior of the curve at that point. It can also provide information about the rate of change of the curve at the point of inflection.

5. Are there any limitations to drawing tangents from points of inflection on a chart with peaks?

Yes, there are some limitations to drawing tangents from points of inflection on a chart with peaks. The tangent may not intersect with any peaks on the chart, and it may not accurately represent the overall behavior of the curve at that point. Additionally, if the point of inflection is located at a sharp peak, it may be difficult to accurately draw a tangent at that point.