How to Evaluate the Integral of z(z+1)cosh(1/z) Over a Unit Circle?

In summary, the conversation is about evaluating an integral with a given contour and the initial attempt involves parametrizing the integral and using a substitution. However, the algebraic manipulation does not yield a solution.
brunette15
Hey everyone,

I am trying to evaluate the following integral: \int z(z+1)cosh(1/z) dz with a C of |z| = 1. Can someone please guide me with how to start? I have tried to parametrise the integral in terms of t so that z(t) = e^it however the algebra doesn't seem to work...

Physics news on Phys.org
brunette15 said:
Hey everyone,

I am trying to evaluate the following integral: \int z(z+1)cosh(1/z) dz with a C of |z| = 1. Can someone please guide me with how to start? I have tried to parametrise the integral in terms of t so that z(t) = e^it however the algebra doesn't seem to work...

Please write your initial attempt.

brunette15 said:
Hey everyone,

If you parameterise the contour $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| z \right| = 1 \end{align*}$ with $\displaystyle \begin{align*} z = \mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i}\,t} , \, 0 \leq t \leq 2\,\pi \end{align*}$, then $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathrm{d}z = \mathrm{i}\,\mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i}\,t}\,\mathrm{d}t \end{align*}$ and we get the integral

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \oint_C{ z\,\left( z + 1 \right) \cosh{ \left( \frac{1}{z} \right) } \,\mathrm{d}z } &= \int_0^{2\,\pi}{ \mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i}\,t}\,\left( \mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i}\,t} + 1 \right) \cosh{ \left( \mathrm{e}^{-\mathrm{i}\,t} \right) } \, \mathrm{i}\,\mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i}\,t}\,\mathrm{d}t } \end{align*}$

How do you think you can go from here?

Related to How to Evaluate the Integral of z(z+1)cosh(1/z) Over a Unit Circle?

1. What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is a type of integral that involves complex numbers in its limits of integration or in its integrand. It is used to calculate the area under the curve of a complex function.

2. How do I evaluate a complex integral?

Evaluating a complex integral involves using techniques such as integration by parts, substitution, and partial fractions. It also requires understanding of complex numbers and properties of complex functions.

3. What are the benefits of evaluating a complex integral?

Evaluating a complex integral can help in solving problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is also used in signal processing, control theory, and other areas of science and technology.

4. What are the challenges of evaluating a complex integral?

Evaluating a complex integral can be challenging due to the properties of complex numbers and the complexity of functions involved. It also requires a strong understanding of integration techniques and mathematical concepts.

5. Can I use software to evaluate a complex integral?

Yes, there are various software programs and online tools available that can help in evaluating complex integrals. However, it is important to have a good understanding of the concept and techniques involved in order to use these tools effectively.