How to Exclude Certain Intervals from Numerical Integration in Mathematica?

• Thread starter Derivator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, "Exclude integration intervall" refers to the process of excluding a specific range of values from being included in a mathematical integration. This is done to improve the accuracy of the integration and is commonly used in scientific calculations. However, there are potential drawbacks such as a loss of information and increased complexity of the integration formula.
Derivator
hi,

i want to integrad the follwing 'integrand' funtion from -50 to 50

Code:
k := 1
\[CapitalDelta]1 := 1
\[CapitalDelta]2 := 2*\[CapitalDelta]1
T := (\[CapitalDelta]2/k)/10
f[E_, T_] := (Exp[E/(k*T)] + 1)^(-1)
Integrand[E_, eV_, T_] := 
 Abs[E]/Sqrt[E^2 - \[CapitalDelta]1^2]*Abs[E + eV]/
  Sqrt[(E + eV)^2 - \[CapitalDelta]2^2]*(f[E, T] - f[E + eV, T])

(You can copy and past this stuff to mathematica)

Now, I want to EXCLUDE all intervalls from numerical integration, where

E^2 > \[CapitalDelta]1
and
(E+eV)^2 > \[CapitalDelta]2

I.e. I want to do something like

Code:
NIntegrate[Integrand[Energy, eV, T], {Energy, INTERVALLBORDERS FULLFILLING THE CONDITIONS ABOVE}]

eV is then plugged into it by the plot function:
Code:
Plot[NIntegrate[Integrand[Energy, eV, T], {Energy, INTERVALLBORDERS FULLFILLING THE CONDITIONS ABOVE}], {eV, 0, 20}]

How is it possible to tell mathematica to use the required integration borders??

--
derivator

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dear derivator,

Thank you for your inquiry. To exclude certain intervals from the numerical integration, you can use the "Exclusions" option in the NIntegrate function. This option allows you to specify any points or intervals to be excluded from the integration.

In your case, you can use the following code:

NIntegrate[Integrand[Energy, eV, T], {Energy, -50, 50},
Exclusions -> {E^2 > \[CapitalDelta]1 && (E + eV)^2 > \[CapitalDelta]2}]

This will exclude any points or intervals where E^2 > \[CapitalDelta]1 and (E + eV)^2 > \[CapitalDelta]2 from the integration. You can also specify multiple conditions in the "Exclusions" option by using the logical operators && (AND) and || (OR).

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to How to Exclude Certain Intervals from Numerical Integration in Mathematica?

What does "Exclude integration intervall" mean?

"Exclude integration intervall" refers to the process of excluding a specific range of values from being included in a mathematical integration. This can be done to avoid including outliers or to improve the accuracy of the integration.

What is the purpose of excluding an integration intervall?

The purpose of excluding an integration intervall is to improve the accuracy of the integration. This can be useful when dealing with data that contains outliers or when the specific range of values is not relevant to the calculation.

How do you exclude an integration intervall?

To exclude an integration intervall, you can specify the range of values to be excluded in the integration formula. This can be done by setting the lower and upper limits of the range or by using a function to exclude specific values.

Is it common to exclude an integration intervall?

Yes, excluding an integration intervall is a common practice in scientific calculations. It is often done to improve the accuracy of the integration or to handle data that contains outliers.

What are the potential drawbacks of excluding an integration intervall?

One potential drawback of excluding an integration intervall is that it can lead to a loss of information. This can affect the overall accuracy of the integration and may not be suitable for all types of data. Additionally, it can also make the integration formula more complex and difficult to interpret.