How to find equation from given data?

• MHB
  • Thread starter tantrik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data
In summary, the Purple Mobile Phone Company offers two pricing plans: Plan A costs $15/month with calls at 25c/minute, and Plan B costs $100/month with calls at 14c/minute. The equation to calculate the cost, C, in dollars for each plan is C = 15 + (0.25t) for Plan A and C = 100 + (0.14t) for Plan B, where t is the call time in minutes per month.
tantrik
Dear friends,

I am unable to solve the following problem. Will appreciate your help here. Thanks in advance.

The Purple Mobile Phone Company offers the following two pricing plans to customers. Plan A costs \$15/month, with calls at 25c/minute, while Plan B costs \$100/month with calls at 14c/minute. Find an equation that gives C, the cost in dollars, in terms of t, the call time in minutes per month for each plan.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
tantrik said:
Dear friends,

I am unable to solve the following problem. Will appreciate your help here. Thanks in advance.

The Purple Mobile Phone Company offers the following two pricing plans to customers. Plan A costs \$15/month, with calls at 25c/minute, while Plan B costs \$100/month with calls at 14c/minute. Find an equation that gives C, the cost in dollars, in terms of t, the call time in minutes per month for each plan.
You are given t in minutes and want to get C in dollars. There is a "cents/minute" so multiplying by t in minutes will result in cents. Dividing that by 100 cents/dollar will put it into dollars. The monthly cost is already in dollars so you can just add that:
C= 15+ (25/100)t

C= 100+ (14/100)t.

HallsofIvy said:
You are given t in minutes and want to get C in dollars. There is a "cents/minute" so multiplying by t in minutes will result in cents. Dividing that by 100 cents/dollar will put it into dollars. The monthly cost is already in dollars so you can just add that:
C= 15+ (25/100)t

C= 100+ (14/100)t.

Thanks for your explanation and working for the problem.

Related to How to find equation from given data?

1. What is the process for finding an equation from given data?

The process for finding an equation from given data involves analyzing the data and identifying any patterns or trends. Then, using mathematical techniques such as regression analysis or curve fitting, an equation can be developed that best fits the data points. This equation can be used to make predictions or gain a better understanding of the relationship between the variables.

2. How do I know if the equation I have found accurately represents the data?

There are several ways to determine if an equation accurately represents the data. One method is to plot the equation on a graph and compare it to the data points. If the points fall close to the line, then the equation is a good representation. Additionally, statistical measures such as the coefficient of determination (R-squared) can be used to determine the strength of the relationship between the equation and the data.

3. Can I use any type of equation to represent my data?

No, not all types of equations are suitable for representing data. It is important to choose an equation that is appropriate for the type of data and the relationship between the variables. For example, linear equations are commonly used for data with a linear relationship, while exponential or logarithmic equations may be more appropriate for data with a nonlinear relationship.

4. What are the limitations of using an equation to represent data?

Equations are useful for summarizing and understanding data, but they also have limitations. One limitation is that they may not accurately represent all data points, especially if there is a lot of variation in the data. Additionally, an equation may not account for all factors that influence the relationship between the variables. It is important to carefully consider the limitations of an equation when using it to make predictions or draw conclusions.

5. How can I use the equation to make predictions about my data?

Once an equation has been found that accurately represents the data, it can be used to make predictions. By plugging in values for the independent variable, the equation can be used to calculate the corresponding value for the dependent variable. However, it is important to note that predictions are only as accurate as the data and the equation used to make them. Careful consideration of the limitations and assumptions of the equation is necessary when making predictions.