How to Find Particle Acceleration Using Conservation of Energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses using the conservation of energy to find the acceleration of two particles in an isolated system, described by an energy function. The first derivative of the energy function with respect to time is equal to zero, leading to the equation m a1 dot v1 + m a2 dot v2 + k (x1 – x2) dot (v1 – v2) = 0. However, this equation cannot be rearranged to find the accelerations, as the dot product is a scalar and the accelerations are vectors. Another hint suggests using the conservation of total momentum or a "virtual displacement" method. Ultimately, the correct solution is found.
Ron_Gis
Help

An isolated system of two identical particles, each of mass m, is described by an energy function
E = ½ m |v1|^2 + ½ m |v2|^2 + ½ k |x1 – x2|^2
How can I use conservation of energy to find the acceleration of each particle in terms of the position of the particle? I would be thankful if someone could give me a hint ?

Ron

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the derivative of E with respect to time is zero, so...

krab said:
Well, the derivative of E with respect to time is zero, so...

Hello krab,

thank you for your help. Your approch to the problem is correct. If the total energy is conserved, the first derivative with respect to time of the given equation should be zero. I have some problems with the maths. Nevertheless, I think that the first derivative is given by

m a1 dot v1 + m a2 dot v2 + 0 where a1 = dv1/dt and a2 = dv2/dt

but I am not sure about this. Furthermore, it is not possible to divide a scalar through a vector, even if the solution is correct. I am too stupid to find the correct expression for the accelerations a1 and a2. I would be thankful if you could help me again.

Ron

Ron_Gis said:
, I think that the first derivative is given by

m a1 dot v1 + m a2 dot v2 + 0 where a1 = dv1/dt and a2 = dv2/dt

but I am not sure about this.
The first part is correct, but x1 and x2 change with time, so why did you get that the time derivative of ½ k |x1 ? x2|^2 is zero?

krab said:
The first part is correct, but x1 and x2 change with time, so why did you get that the time derivative of ½ k |x1 ? x2|^2 is zero?

Hello krab,

you are right again. The first derivative is given by

m a1 dot v1 + m a2 dot v2 + k (x1 – x2) dot (v1 – v2)

and this expression is equal to zero.

Nevertheless, the dot product is a scalar and I have to find an expression for the accelerations, which are vectors. I think that this is not possible, simply by rearranging this equation. Would you be kind enough to give me another hint.

Regards Ron

Ron_Gis said:
The first derivative is given by

m a1 dot v1 + m a2 dot v2 + k (x1 ? x2) dot (v1 ? v2)

and this expression is equal to zero.

Nevertheless, the dot product is a scalar and I have to find an expression for the accelerations, which are vectors. I think that this is not possible, simply by rearranging this equation. Would you be kind enough to give me another hint.

Regards Ron
You are right. You cannot get it from just this equation. Are you allowed to use the fact that in this isolated system, total momentum is conserved? If so then v1+v2=constant, so a1=-a2 and the result follows.

Alternatively, go back to the beginning and use a "virtual displacement". Pretend that you move say particle 1 by a vector dx1. Use the energy equation to calculate the difference in energy this displaced system would have. From the definition of work, you know that this energy difference is F1 dot dx1.

Hello krab,

I think that I have found the correct solution. Thank you for your help.

Regards Ron

Related to How to Find Particle Acceleration Using Conservation of Energy?

1. What is a system of particles?

A system of particles refers to a group of objects or particles that interact with each other through forces and motion. These particles can have different masses, velocities, and positions, but they are connected through their interactions.

2. What are the types of systems of particles?

There are two main types of systems of particles: open and closed. An open system allows the exchange of matter and energy with its surroundings, while a closed system does not allow any exchange.

3. How is the center of mass of a system of particles calculated?

The center of mass of a system of particles is calculated by finding the weighted average position of all the particles in the system. This is done by multiplying each particle's mass by its position, then dividing the sum by the total mass of the system.

4. Can the total momentum of a system of particles change?

According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a system of particles remains constant unless an external force acts upon it. This means that the total momentum can change if there is an external force or if there is a change in mass or velocity of the particles within the system.

5. How does the motion of a system of particles affect its kinetic energy?

The kinetic energy of a system of particles is directly related to the total mass and velocity of the particles. As the particles move and their velocities change, the kinetic energy of the system will also change accordingly.