How to find reaction conversions and selectivities?

• Thread starter Thermo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the conversation discusses a design assignment that includes information on reaction kinetics and the reaction chain, but not on selectivities and conversions. The student is struggling to find this information in scientific articles and is seeking help on a forum. The professor suggests drawing a preliminary flow sheet and considering different reactor designs, but the student is hesitant due to the lack of information on selectivities and conversions.
Thermo

Homework Statement

My design assignment gives the information of reaction kinetics and the reaction chain but not selectivities and conversions. I was told to find those information from scientific articles. I've found some but not really sure how to use them.

Homework Equations

96j6h2.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found some articles but not sure how to apply and interpret them properly to design the reactor and calculate mass and energy balances. Not sure if any chemical engineer is a member here but I wanted to find some help on this helpful forum. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of reactor is it? What are the inlet flows. What are the inlet temperatures?

Likes Thermo
1462469777_design1.png

1462469814_design2.png

1462469845_design3.png

Thanks for your interest professor we think of a fluidized bed reactor but assignment doesn't give us the info about conversions and selectivities if I use other articles and published researches they will have other kinetics and such. What am I supposed to do? Thanks a lot...

Last edited:
I will calculate inlet flow later on becuase we need to know the conversions and selectivities to calculate that first.

This is way too big a problem to give you advice within the framework of Physics Forums. Have you drawn a preliminary flow sheet yet? Do have any ideas on how to design the reactor?

Related to How to find reaction conversions and selectivities?

1. How do I calculate reaction conversions and selectivities?

To calculate reaction conversions, divide the moles of the desired product by the moles of the starting material and multiply by 100%. To calculate selectivities, divide the moles of the desired product by the total moles of all products and multiply by 100%. These calculations can also be done using mass instead of moles.

2. What is the difference between conversion and selectivity?

Conversion measures the percentage of starting material that is converted into the desired product, while selectivity measures the percentage of the desired product compared to all products formed in the reaction.

3. How do I determine the purity of a reaction product?

To determine the purity of a reaction product, you can use techniques such as gas chromatography or high-performance liquid chromatography to analyze the composition of the product and identify any impurities.

4. What factors can affect reaction conversions and selectivities?

Several factors can influence reaction conversions and selectivities, including the reactants' concentrations, reaction temperature, presence of catalysts, and reaction time. The reaction conditions and reactant properties can also play a significant role.

5. How can I optimize reaction conversions and selectivities?

To optimize reaction conversions and selectivities, you can adjust the reaction conditions, such as changing the temperature, pressure, or reaction time. Using different catalysts or altering the reactant concentrations can also help improve conversions and selectivities.