How to find the inverse of a complicated function?

In summary, the conversation centers around a user who is struggling with a math problem and seeking help on a forum. The other users provide advice on how to approach the problem and offer tips on using trigonometry and hyperbolic functions. The conversation also touches on the importance of following guidelines and using proper notation when posting on the forum. The conversation ends with the user realizing that the original function does not exist for all real numbers.
ColdheartedGod
Homework Statement
Find the inverse function for a given function.
Relevant Equations
f(x) =(x+(x^2+1)) ^(1/3)+(x-(x^2+1))^(1/3)
IMG_20191222_184803.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In order to be helped in a useful way you must first put your own efforts. So, what have you tried / come up with, so far?

Hello Cold one,

Read the guidelines to find out why we are not allowed to help and why your thread will probably be deleted and end up in the PF black hole

Your text and picture don't agree !
Read and check what you post

1. Learn to post using ##\LaTeX##
2. post an attempt at solution

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for not reading the guidelines carefully!
Here's my current attempt.
IMG_20191222_194231.jpg

However I cannot go any further. I've tried using sin(x) to the power of three to replace sin(x) a second time but it doesn't go well.
I really would like to know if I'm on the right track or if there's other approach to the solution.

ColdheartedGod said:
other approach
Did you try to write out ##y^3## ?

Never mind, doesn't look that good either :nb)

Other tack: try ##x = \cosh(z)##

[edit] I mean the other one: sinh ! :smile:

Likes archaic
Concerning
ColdheartedGod said:
I'm so sorry
And
BvU said:
1. Learn to post using ##\LaTeX##
Example: (right-click on formula to show math as ##\TeX## comands)
$$y = \sqrt[\leftroot{-3}\uproot{12}3]{x+\sqrt{x^2+1}} + \sqrt[\leftroot{-3}\uproot{12}3]{x-\sqrt{x^2+1}} +$$
Or simpler: your f(x) =(x+(x^2+1)) ^{(1/3)}+(x-(x^2+1))^{(1/3)} -- adorned with {} to group the (1/3) and enclosed in double $$ becomes
$$f(x) =(x+(x^2+1)) ^{1/3}+(x-(x^2+1))^{1/3} $$
when it should have been
$$f(x) =\left(x+(x^2+1)^{1/2}\right ) ^{1/3}+\left(x-(x^2+1)^{1/2}\right)^{1/3} $$
Enough showing off; back to the exercise at hand :wink:
Any light at the end of the tunnel ?

BvU said:
Concerning

And
Example: (right-click on formula to show math as ##\TeX## comands)
$$y = \sqrt[\leftroot{-3}\uproot{12}3]{x+\sqrt{x^2+1}} + \sqrt[\leftroot{-3}\uproot{12}3]{x-\sqrt{x^2+1}} +$$
Or simpler: your f(x) =(x+(x^2+1)) ^{(1/3)}+(x-(x^2+1))^{(1/3)} -- adorned with {} to group the (1/3) and enclosed in double $$ becomes
$$f(x) =(x+(x^2+1)) ^{1/3}+(x-(x^2+1))^{1/3} $$
when it should have been
$$f(x) =\left(x+(x^2+1)^{1/2}\right ) ^{1/3}+\left(x-(x^2+1)^{1/2}\right)^{1/3} $$
Enough showing off; back to the exercise at hand :wink:
Any light at the end of the tunnel ?
Thanks for the explanations!
Well, it seems that my current knowledge in trigonometry isn't good enough to carry that part so I'm now struggling to find out more about sinh functions and how to apply it in this case. :rolleyes:

ColdheartedGod said:
Thanks for the explanations!
Well, it seems that my current knowledge in trigonometry isn't good enough to carry that part so I'm now struggling to find out more about sinh functions and how to apply it in this case. :rolleyes:

The most important hyperbolic trig identity is ##\sinh^2 \theta + 1 = \cosh^2 \theta##.

You can get hyperbolic multiple angle formulas quite easily using the definitions:

##\cosh \theta = \frac{e^\theta + e^{-\theta}}{2}, \ \ \sinh \theta = \frac{e^\theta - e^{-\theta}}{2}##

In this case you can get simple formulas for ##\sinh \theta \pm \cosh \theta##. And:

##\sinh^3 \theta = \frac 1 8 ( e^\theta - e^{-\theta})^3 = \frac 1 8 (e^{3\theta} - 3e^\theta + 3e^{-\theta} - e^{-3\theta}) = \dots ##

This problem looks like a very good exercise in the use of the hyperbolic trig functions.

Not that anything is guaranteed before you try, but have you tried straight algebra?

In order to not get over-long formulae I would write this as

y = (A + B) at first, then look at y3. (Even if, as I see, this has been disadvised.)

Note that inverses are not necessarily unique, but if you even get one that would be something.

Likes vela and ehild
epenguin said:
Not that anything is guaranteed before you try, but have you tried straight algebra?

In order to not get over-long formulae I would write this as

y = (A + B) at first, then look at y3. (Even if, as I see, this has been disadvised.)
It is worth trying! :wink:

Likes vela
epenguin said:
I'll third this recommendation. I didn't work it out, but I think I see how it goes. You get some nice simplification.

epenguin said:
Note that inverses are not necessarily unique, but if you even get one that would be something.
Not to mention that an inverse does not necessarily exist, in the reals, for all y. However to see into that in this case I think you need to make progress in the elaboration along the lines indicated.
You can easily see the function f(x) itself does not exist in the reals for x between -1 and 1.

epenguin said:
Not to mention that an inverse does not necessarily exist, in the reals, for all y. However to see into that in this case I think you need to make progress in the elaboration along the lines indicated.
You can easily see the function f(x) itself does not exist in the reals for x between -1 and 1.

##f(0) = 0##

What's the problem?

vela said:
I'll third this recommendation. I didn't work it out, but I think I see how it goes. You get some nice simplification.

What's the point learning about hyperbolic trig functions if you don't use them? :smile:

Likes Vanadium 50
epenguin said:

Which suggests, if you are going to go the substitution route, to pick a function with similar restrictions, e.g. sec, csc , cosh (maybe) or coth.

PeroK said:
##f(0) = 0##

What's the problem?

The problem is that I mistranscribed the function and thought it had a √(x2 - 1) in it - but it showed that that case could arise, even if not here.

Happy Christmas everybody!

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
Maybe you can follow recommendation of cubing by first leaving one of the radical expressions alone in one side before doing the cubing to avoid a mess of an expression.

WWGD said:
Maybe you can follow recommendation of cubing by first leaving one of the radical expressions alone in one side before doing the cubing to avoid a mess of an expression.
It is not a good idea. Just take the cube of both sides as they are. The cube of ##y=a+b## is ##y^3=a^3+b^3+3a^2b+3ab^2 ## which can be written as ##y^3=a^3+b^3+3(ab)(a+b)##. By substitution, it becomes very simple and x can be easily isolated.

Last edited:
Likes epenguin
ehild said:
It is not a good idea. Just take the cube of both sides as they are. The cube of ##y=a+b## is ##y^3=a^3+b^3+3a^2b+3ab^2 ## which can be written as ##y^3=a^3+b^3+3(ab)(a+b)##. By substitution, it becomes very simple and x can be easily isolated.
You indeed get massive cancellation, but there's still a cube root left over. I get a cubic in x, lightly sprinkled with powers of y^3. I could now use cardano's formula, and maybe there's even more cancellation?
There is however an easier way. If you look at the original expression, you can see that it looks just like the outcome of cardano's formula. There is a depressed cubic in y with x as one of the parameters, which will have your expression as the real root. Solving this for x will be trivial.

BvU said:
Other tack: try ##x = \cosh(z)##

[edit] I mean the other one: sinh ! :smile:
Haven't seen much follow-up for this one. even though ##\sinh + \cosh## and ##\sinh - \cosh## yield such nice expressions ...

BvU said:
Haven't seen much follow-up for this one. even though ##\sinh + \cosh## and ##\sinh - \cosh## yield such nice expressions ...
I solved using that substitution, got my answer deleted though, as per the rules :sorry:

• Informative
Likes BvU
archaic said:
I solved using that substitution, got my answer deleted though, as per the rules :sorry:
I saw it, but it was a bit complicated. The solution is quite simple just a polynomial of y.

willem2 said:
You indeed get massive cancellation, but there's still a cube root left over. I get a cubic in x, lightly sprinkled with powers of y^3. I could now use cardano's formula, and maybe there's even more cancellation?
There is however an easier way. If you look at the original expression, you can see that it looks just like the outcome of cardano's formula. There is a depressed cubic in y with x as one of the parameters, which will have your expression as the real root. Solving this for x will be trivial.
No need for anything complicated, like Cardano formula. If you follow the hint in #Post 20, the only cube roots remaining are in a+b, which is identical with y.

Likes SammyS

Related to How to find the inverse of a complicated function?

1. How do I know if a function has an inverse?

To determine if a function has an inverse, you can use the horizontal line test. If a horizontal line intersects the graph of the function at more than one point, then the function does not have an inverse. If the horizontal line only intersects the graph at one point, then the function does have an inverse.

2. What is the process for finding the inverse of a function?

The process for finding the inverse of a function involves swapping the x and y variables and solving for y. This will result in a new equation, which represents the inverse of the original function.

3. Can all functions be inverted?

No, not all functions can be inverted. In order for a function to have an inverse, it must pass the horizontal line test and be one-to-one, meaning that each input has a unique output.

4. What are some common methods for finding the inverse of a function?

Some common methods for finding the inverse of a function include using algebraic manipulation, graphing, and using the inverse function theorem. In more complicated cases, numerical methods may also be used.

5. Are there any special techniques for finding the inverse of a complicated function?

Yes, there are special techniques such as using substitution, partial fractions, and trigonometric identities to simplify the function before finding the inverse. Additionally, some functions may require the use of logarithms or exponential functions in order to find the inverse.