How to get general solution via Green's function?

psie
Homework Statement
Find a fundamental solution of the equation ##x''-x=0##. Solve using this the equation ##x''-x=e^t\sin{t}##.
Relevant Equations
The definition of a fundamental solution is given in theorem below.
I'll start with a characterization of the Green's function as a fundamental solution to a differential operator. This theorem is given in Ordinary Differential Equations by Andersson and Böiers.

Theorem. Let $$L(t,\lambda)=\lambda^n+a_{n-1}(t)\lambda^{n-1}+\ldots+a_1(t)\lambda+a_0(t)\quad\text{and }D=\frac{d}{dt}.\tag1$$ Denote by ##E(t,\tau)## the uniquely determined solution ##u(t)## of the initial value problem
\begin{align}
&L(t,D)u=0 \tag2\\
&u(\tau)=u'(\tau)=\ldots=u^{(n-2)}(\tau)=0,\quad u^{(n-1)}(\tau)=1. \tag3
\end{align}
Then
$$y(t)=\int_{t_0}^t E(t,\tau)g(\tau)d\tau\tag4$$
is the solution of the problem
\begin{align}
&L(t,D)y=g(t) \tag5\\
&y(t_0)=y'(t_0)=\ldots=y^{(n-1)}(t_0)=0. \tag6
\end{align}
##E(t,\tau)## is known as the fundamental solution to the differential operator ##L(t,D)##, also known as Green's function.

Now, consider the equation ##x''-x=e^t\sin{t}##. The homogeneous solution is ##x_h(t)=Ae^t+Be^{-t}##. To obtain ##E(t,\tau)##, note that ##x_h'(t)=Ae^t-Be^{-t}##. According to ##(3)##, ##x_h(\tau)=x_h'(\tau)=0##, so we have two equations and two unknowns. Solving this system, we obtain ##A=\frac{e^{-\tau}}{2}## and ##B=-\frac{e^\tau}{2}##, so $$E(t,\tau)=\frac12(e^{t-\tau}-e^{\tau-t})=\sinh{(t-\tau)}.$$

Here is where I'm stuck. ##(4)## seems to depend on an initial value ##t_0##, which I don't have. Moreover, I'm a little unsure whether or not ##(4)## is the general solution to ##L(t,D)y=g(t)## or simply a particular solution. I'm looking to obtain the general solution of ##x''-x=e^t\sin{t}## using Green's function, i.e. ##E(t,\tau)##. Grateful for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's begin by rewriting your general theorem as it applies to your specific ##2^{nd}##-order ODE, using the same equation numbers as in the theorem. Your Green's function ##E\left(t,\tau\right)## must satisfy:
$$\frac{d^{2}E\left(t,\tau\right)}{dt^{2}}-E\left(t,\tau\right)=0\tag{2}$$with
$$E\left(\tau,\tau\right)=0,\quad\left.\frac{dE\left(t,\tau\right)}{dt}\right|_{t=\tau}=1\tag{3}$$In your post, you solve this system for the unique result:$$E\left(t,\tau\right)=\sinh\left(t-\tau\right)$$which is clearly correct. Turning then to eq.##(4)## of the theorem, you write:
psie said:
Here is where I'm stuck. ##(4)## seems to depend on an initial value ##t_{0}##, which I don't have.
True, we don't have a specific value for ##t_{0}##, just like we don't have a specific value for ##t##, so we just carry them both along. We make this manifest by altering the left of eq.##(4)## to make it clear that the ultimate solution ##x## can depend on both of the variables ##t## and ##t_{0}##:
$$x\left(t,t_{0}\right)=\intop_{t_{0}}^{t}E\left(t,\tau\right)g\left(\tau\right)d\tau=\intop_{t_{0}}^{t}\sinh\left(t-\tau\right)e^{\tau}\sin\left(\tau\right)d\tau\tag{4}$$So now you've arrived at the most tedious step: performing the integral on the right of ##(4)##. It's elementary, in that it boils down to integrating products of exponentials, but the final answer is a sum over several terms involving trig functions and exponentials. (I "cheated" and used Wolfram Mathematica!). Once you've derived the explicit expression for ##x(t,t_{0})##, you can directly verify that it does indeed solve the last two equations of the theorem:
$$\frac{d^{2}x\left(t,t_{0}\right)}{dt^{2}}-x\left(t,t_{0}\right)=g\left(t\right)=e^{t}\sin\left(t\right)\tag{5}$$and:
$$x\left(t_{0},t_{0}\right)=\left.\frac{dx\left(t,t_{0}\right)}{dt}\right|_{t=t_{0}}=0\tag{6}$$You next note:
psie said:
I'm a little unsure whether or not ##(4)## is the general solution...
Well, the general solution ##x## to a ##2^{nd}##-order ODE must involve two arbitrary constants of integration, which can be used to set arbitrary initial conditions on ##x,x'## at a particular point. So solution ##(4)## cannot be general since by eq.##(6)## it has the very specific initial values ##x=x'=0## at ##t=t_{0}##. But this is easily remedied: simply add to ##x## your arbitrary solution ##x_{h}(t)## of the homogeneous equation ##x_{h}''-x_{h}=0## to get the general solution ##x_{g}##:$$x_{g}\left(t,t_{0}\right)\equiv x\left(t,t_{0}\right)+x_{h}\left(t\right)=x\left(t,t_{0}\right)+c_{1}e^{t}+c_{2}e^{-t}\qquad(c_{1},c_{2}\text{ arbitrary constants})$$##x_{g}## still satisfies the inhomogeneous equation ##(5)##, but the initial conditions ##(6)## generalize to:$$x_{g}\left(t_{0},t_{0}\right)=c_{1}e^{t_{0}}+c_{2}e^{-t_{0}},\quad\left.\frac{dx_{g}\left(t,t_{0}\right)}{dt}\right|_{t=t_{0}}=c_{1}e^{t_{0}}-c_{2}e^{-t_{0}}$$Evidently, by appropriately choosing ##c_{1},c_{2}## you have the freedom to set any desired initial conditions on ##x_G## and ##x_G'## at ##t=t_{0}##, as is required for the general solution. Hence, you can express the general solution of your problem in terms of the Green's function as:$$x_{g}\left(t,t_{0}\right)=\intop_{t_{0}}^{t}\sinh\left(t-\tau\right)e^{\tau}\sin\left(\tau\right)d\tau+c_{1}e^{t}+c_{2}e^{-t}$$

Last edited:
Likes DeBangis21, psie and topsquark