How to get to this KVL expression

In summary, the conversation discusses a photo of a circuit and the application of KVL (Kirchhoff's Voltage Law) to find the correct equation. The equation shown in the photo is incorrect as the last term is in units of current, not voltage. The conversation also highlights the importance of understanding the difference between node voltages and voltage drops across elements in a circuit. It is recommended to look at the definitions of V_L and V_C and how they relate to the voltage drop across elements. The correct KVL equation should result in a second order differential equation in terms of I_L and I_C.
nhrock3
in this photo there is the circuit and the KVL of the solution
5aov46.jpg

but when i tried to do the KVL
i go from the arc(3 lines represents potential zero)
in counter clockwise direction
so i get[tex] V_L + V_C+V_R-V_s=0[/tex]
when i go against the direction of a current the voltage is on PLUS
when in the voltage source i go from + to - we have -V_s

so where is my mistake
i can't figure out how to get to the expression they got from my expression
?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you saying that the KVL equation you have drawn in that picture is the solution you should arrive to? The equation looks incorrect as the last term is in units of current, not voltage. The summation of voltages should never equal units of current.

The solution aside I would recommend you look at what you are defining as VL, and VC. These values are just assigned to particular nodes in the circuit. They don't describe the voltage drop across elements.

See this circuit below for the difference. It's not the node voltage at the "+" end of the capacitor that's important, it's the voltage at the "+" end of the capacitor relative to the "-" end of the capacitor. Same applies for the inductor and the resistor.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/7553/0210001730.jpg"

Last edited by a moderator:
yes you are correct its current not a voltagedoes my logic in finding the KVL correct?

Last edited:
nhrock3 said:
what do you mean "as the last term is in units of current, not voltage"
the last is just VS its not a curent

Sorry for any confusion, I was referring to the KVL equation in the image you posted. The equation reads:

[tex]V_S=V_L+V+\frac{V_S-V_C}{R}[/tex]​

V/R gives a current, that's all I was saying.

nhrock3 said:
does my logic in finding the KVL correct?

No the logic you have used in finding the equation, [tex]V_L+V_C+V_R-V_S=0[/tex] is incorrect.

The voltage V_c does not represent the voltage drop across the resistor that is needed for the KVL loop. It is the voltage at that node relative to ground. So it is the voltage across the resistor plus the voltage supplied by the voltage source.

Take a look at the image I linked to earlier. The voltages in that image are the voltages across each circuit element rather then the voltage at a particular node relative to ground. Do a KVL loop of that circuit and substitute the values of each voltage with the corresponding equation I listed with the image. Your KVL equation should give you a second order differential equation in terms of I_L and I_c. Use the KCL equation you showed in your image in the OP and you can get the differential equation in terms of either I_L or I_c with respect to V_S and I_S.

"V_c does not represent the voltage drop across the resistor"

V_c represents the drop accros the capacitor

V_r represent the voltage drop across the resistor

In your drawing the node V_c is labeled as a the voltage level at a particular node. With the location of the ground in your circuit one would assume that unreferenced node voltages are referenced to ground. This would make V_c the voltage drop across the resistor and the voltage source, not the capacitor even though that's what you really want V_c to be. Look how the circuit I drew is different.

"V_c is the voltage across the resistor plus the voltage supplied by the voltage source"
i agree.
so what is the correct KVL?

what is the correct KVL equation you think?

anyone??
i can't understand what is the right kvl
?

Related to How to get to this KVL expression

1. How do I derive the KVL expression?

The KVL (Kirchhoff's Voltage Law) expression can be derived by applying the principle of conservation of energy to a closed loop in an electrical circuit. This law states that the algebraic sum of the voltages around a closed loop must equal zero. By assigning polarities to the voltage sources and using Ohm's Law, the KVL expression can be derived.

2. Can the KVL expression be used for all types of circuits?

Yes, the KVL expression can be used for all types of circuits, including series, parallel, and combination circuits. However, it is most commonly used for circuits with only voltage sources.

3. What is the significance of the KVL expression in circuit analysis?

The KVL expression is an important tool in circuit analysis as it allows us to determine the unknown voltage drops across different elements in a circuit. It also helps in verifying the accuracy of circuit calculations and identifying any errors in the circuit design.

4. How do I apply the KVL expression in a circuit with multiple loops?

To apply the KVL expression in a circuit with multiple loops, you would need to write down the KVL equation for each individual loop and solve the resulting system of equations simultaneously. This will give you the unknown voltages for each loop and help you analyze the circuit.

5. Can the KVL expression be used in AC circuits?

Yes, the KVL expression can be used in both DC and AC circuits. However, in AC circuits, the voltages are represented as phasors and the KVL equation is modified accordingly. This helps in analyzing the circuit's behavior at different frequencies.