How to plot 3D cylinder shapes in Mathematica?

In summary, the conversation is about creating cylinders in Mathematica using external data. The person is seeking help on how to properly format the data to add the parameter of cylinder radius. The solution is to use the command "Cylinder" and convert the raw data to the appropriate format.
button_ger
hey

How can i do that? Can anyone of you help me?greets
button

MATHEMATICA

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're posting in the Software section, so I assume you want to do it using a computer program, but you didn't tell us which one.

Also, how do you mean: plotting lines as cylinders? You mean you want to draw a cylinder of radius r along a line?

Sry. The data-file contains start and end-point of the cylinders (lines). I want to create a huge number of cylinders with external data.
How can I do that?
I don't know how to format the external data and how I have to do the command in mathematica.

I tired to do with
list = Partition[Import["Sites/IWS/testFile.txt", "Table"], 2]
Graphics3D[Cylinder
  • ]

but in that way I am not able to change the cylinder-radius. How can I add this parameter in my list?

From the help,
Code:
Cylinder[{{Subscript[x, 1],Subscript[y, 1],Subscript[z, \
1]},{Subscript[x, 2],Subscript[y, 2],Subscript[z, 2]}},r]
represents a cylinder of radius r around the line from (Subscript[x, \
1],Subscript[y, 1],Subscript[z, 1]) to (Subscript[x, 2],Subscript[y, \
2],Subscript[z, 2]).

So you could simply use that command.

How you would convert to that from your raw data depends on the version of Mathematica (I suspect you are using 6.0+) and the precise format of the text file.

Related to How to plot 3D cylinder shapes in Mathematica?

1. What is the purpose of plotting lines in 3D as cylinders?

The purpose of plotting lines in 3D as cylinders is to create a visual representation of three-dimensional data. This allows for a better understanding and analysis of complex data sets, as well as providing a way to visually compare and contrast different data points.

2. How are plot lines in 3D as cylinders created?

Plot lines in 3D as cylinders are created using computer software or programming languages that have 3D graphics capabilities. The process involves defining the coordinates of the points that make up the line, and then using algorithms to create a cylinder shape between each point.

3. What types of data are best represented using plot lines in 3D as cylinders?

Plot lines in 3D as cylinders are best suited for representing continuous data, such as time series data or spatial data. They can also be used to show relationships between multiple variables, as the shape and orientation of the cylinders can convey information about the data points.

4. Can multiple plot lines be combined in a single 3D plot?

Yes, multiple plot lines can be combined in a single 3D plot. This is particularly useful for comparing data from different sources or for analyzing the effects of different variables on a single data set.

5. Are there any limitations to using plot lines in 3D as cylinders?

One limitation of using plot lines in 3D as cylinders is that they can be difficult to interpret if there are a large number of data points or if the data is highly complex. Additionally, the accuracy of the representation may be affected by the resolution of the 3D plot or the quality of the data itself.