How to tell if the components are in parallel or series

In summary, the impedance of this notch filter can be determined by finding the range of frequencies it stops.
Emspak

Homework Statement

I need to work out the impedance of this notch filter, and what I really need is to know how to read the diagram, because if I can do that the rest isn't so hard. The diagram looks like this (I don't know if this uploaded right)

So really, all I am trying to do is tell if the inductor and capacitor should be considered in series or parallel, and if the resistor should be trated as in series with another "resistor" (the parallel sum of the inductor and capacitor) or if I should treat the resistor as in parallel with both the inductor and capacitor. Reading diagrams is elementary I know but sometimes a little explanation goes a long way, and I suspect that I should treat the inductor and capacitor as a mini-series in parallel with the resistor but I wanted to make sure.

I don't want the answer or anything, jut a note as to where to get the ball rolling.

Attachments

• notch filter.jpg
    notch filter.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 522
Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't the circuit (for a lack of better word) or the path taken by the charge change based on the impedance of the filter?

ShawK said:
Doesn't the circuit (for a lack of better word) or the path taken by the charge change based on the impedance of the filter?

I am honestly not sure, I was just told to find the impedance. I have zero idea of what you mean here.

A notch filter is a bandstop filter that stops certain frequencies while letting others pass. I have a feeling the impedance is a direct function of the range of frequencies it stops. And this range should be fairly easy to find although I forgot the exact formula

ShawK said:
A notch filter is a bandstop filter that stops certain frequencies while letting others pass. I have a feeling the impedance is a direct function of the range of frequencies it stops. And this range should be fairly easy to find although I forgot the exact formula
I get what a notch filter does. That isn't the problem. I need to be able to read the diagram is all, that's what I am asking so I can do the derivation correctly. I am trying to discover if I am reading it correctly or not! I don't have much experience doing it which is why I asked the question.

I do follow certain rules in order to check whether elements are in series or parallel.

For elements to be in series:-

If two elements are connected at only one end.
Current flowing in elements must be same and their voltage drops different(depending on resister values).

For elements to be in parallel:-

If two elements are connected to each other by both ends.
Voltage across both the elements is same and their currents different (depending on resistance values).

Likes Emspak
In your circuit inductor and capacitor are connected at one end so they are in series.

Emspak said:

Homework Statement

I need to work out the impedance of this notch filter, and what I really need is to know how to read the diagram, because if I can do that the rest isn't so hard. The diagram looks like this (I don't know if this uploaded right)

So really, all I am trying to do is tell if the inductor and capacitor should be considered in series or parallel, and if the resistor should be trated as in series with another "resistor" (the parallel sum of the inductor and capacitor) or if I should treat the resistor as in parallel with both the inductor and capacitor. Reading diagrams is elementary I know but sometimes a little explanation goes a long way, and I suspect that I should treat the inductor and capacitor as a mini-series in parallel with the resistor but I wanted to make sure.

I don't want the answer or anything, jut a note as to where to get the ball rolling.
The 3 elements are all in series. It would help you to see how this works if you were to mark the input and output signals of this filter showing how it is used.

Likes Emspak
@lazyaditya and NascentOxygen -- thanks, that is what I was trying to verify. Input is on the left, BTW, and output is on the right. The reason I was getting confused was when I looked up the actual formulas they looked as though the elements were in parallel; they weren't it was just the way they'd arranged the variables. (Some were fractions). Now that I know that the whole thing is simpler.

@lazyaditya I suspected that the "both ends" rule applied here but I wasn't sure because if you connect a load that is in parallel with the inductor and the capacitor. So it looks like a parallel connection from that point of view.

Related to How to tell if the components are in parallel or series

1. How can I tell if components are in parallel or series?

In parallel circuits, the components are connected side by side, while in series circuits, the components are connected one after the other in a single loop.

2. What is the difference between parallel and series circuits?

In parallel circuits, the voltage across each component remains the same, while in series circuits, the voltage is divided among the components.

3. How does the current flow in parallel and series circuits?

In parallel circuits, the current splits up and flows through each component separately, while in series circuits, the same current flows through each component in a single loop.

4. Can I tell if components are in parallel or series by looking at the circuit diagram?

Yes, you can determine if components are in parallel or series by looking at the way they are connected in the circuit diagram. In parallel circuits, there will be multiple branches, while in series circuits, there will be a single loop.

5. How can I test if components are in parallel or series?

You can use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current in the circuit. If the voltage across each component is the same, they are in parallel. If the voltage is divided among the components, they are in series. You can also use Ohm's law to calculate the total resistance of the circuit. If the total resistance is less than the lowest individual component, they are in parallel. If the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual components, they are in series.