How to work on weapons research for a government Agency?

In summary, there are various types of revolutionary weapons, such as lasers, plasma, bio-weapons, EMP, and drones, and physicists can work on these projects along with engineers and computer scientists. A PhD is not required, but it is common for those in leadership positions. Job openings can be found through personal contacts, job fairs, and websites, but it is unlikely for an employer to seek out an individual unless they have specific skills needed for a project. The recommended degree depends on the specific technology being researched or developed, and a position at a National Lab is considered a good job for a physicist. Companies such as Lockheed and Northrup Grumman are involved in this type of research, but it may be difficult to find a
physics user1
And by weapons I mean the new revolutional weapons, like lasers, plasma, bio-weapons, EMP, drones...
Can a physicist work on these Projects?
Do you need a PhD?
How do they employ scientists? You just ask for job or do they ask and find you?
Is there a competition?
What degree is recommended? Is nuclear/plasma/particle physics good?
Do you know one of these projects and an agency that is working on It?
How much do they pay?

I'm just curious to know who works on this stuff and how do they got there

Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists can work on these projects, along side with engineers and computer scientists.
Perhaps >50 % have Ph D's these days, but not everyone does.
You need to look at and apply from USAjobs website? (not sure ? maybe job fairs?). (You know of any employer where they ask and find you?: uncommon)
Competition is as tough as getting any other professional employment, (Very tough).
Nuclear, plasma, particle good., so is biophysics, condensed matter, courses in fluid dynamics, aerodynamics, robotics, etc. The govt agencies are looking for a jack of all trades, who knows how to learn and apply techniques to anything. Your specific background may not be exercised in your work assignments.
Do not know of any specific projects ,(See USAjobs)
Pay and benefits are (probably) on par with physicists in industrial labs. Physicists may get less than engineers and computer scientists though.

Likes physics user1
I also want to work in a national lab but more so in the field of renewable energy. I posted to follow the feed of answers on this post.

Much of this kind of work work is being carried out by contractors (such as Lockheed and Northrup Grumman) using both government research funds and internal R&D investment. Some of the science underlying these technologies is being worked on in some of the National Labs.

1. You don't need a PhD although if you don't have one most likely you'll be working for someone who does. I have a PhD and my boss doesn't so there are exceptions (I don't work in weapons design).

2. Yes, they employ scientists. You hear about openings through your contact network, job fairs, and looking on websites. They won't "find you" unless you are already well known and have specific capabilities they need for a project (this is rare). They also employ engineers and computer professionals. In my experience in working projects similar to what you're talking about (but not military related) I would say the split is 1/3 scientist, 2/3 engineer. There aren't many technicians anymore in R&D although they can still be found in construction and maintenance.

3. A Ph.D. is a good idea, particularly if you want to be a scientist. The best degree depends on the technology you'd be researching or developing. For example, a laser or accelerator physicist might be a better fit for a particle beam weapon than a condensed matter physicist. If you want to be an engineer you can be more flexible.

4. If you're working for a National Lab, it is one of the best jobs for a physicist (in my opinion). Engineers in the labs are somewhat underpaid compared to what they could make in industry but that actually makes it easier to get a job there if you want it. If it is important to you to be top dog where you work, you should consider being a physicist.

You'll have to google what companies are working on what technologies. Isn't hard to find...

Likes physics user1 and berkeman
weapons research and renewable energy do not exactly go together. You may need to make a choice.

mpresic said:
weapons research and renewable energy do not exactly go together. You may need to make a choice.
Uh the OP and I had different responses. He/she wanted to do weapons research and I wanted to do renewable energy.

Related to How to work on weapons research for a government Agency?

1. What qualifications are needed to work on weapons research for a government agency?

To work on weapons research for a government agency, you will typically need a degree in a relevant field such as engineering, physics, or chemistry. Many agencies also require a security clearance and previous experience in research and development.

2. What types of weapons are typically researched by government agencies?

Government agencies often research a wide range of weapons, including firearms, explosives, chemical weapons, and nuclear weapons. They may also research and develop new technologies for use in military vehicles and equipment.

3. How does the government ensure the safety and ethical use of weapons research?

The government has strict regulations and protocols in place to ensure the safety and ethical use of weapons research. This may include regular safety inspections, adherence to international laws and treaties, and strict guidelines for testing and use of weapons.

4. What are the potential career paths for someone working in weapons research for a government agency?

There are many potential career paths for individuals working in weapons research for a government agency. This may include positions in research and development, testing and evaluation, project management, and strategic planning. Some individuals may also advance to leadership roles or become subject matter experts in a specific type of weapon.

5. How does working on weapons research for a government agency differ from working in the private sector?

Working on weapons research for a government agency often involves more strict regulations and protocols, as well as a greater focus on national security. The pace of work may also differ, as government agencies may have longer timelines for research and development projects compared to the private sector. Additionally, the government may have more resources and funding available for weapons research compared to private companies.