HSC Physics: How Much of Preliminary Course is Needed?

In summary, the HSC only requires a portion of the Preliminary Physics course, specifically motion, waves, and a few other topics. However, it is still important to have a strong understanding of the Prelim material in order to do well in the subject. The HSC covers some of the same material but at a faster pace.
lemon1
Hey guys! I have a question about the HSC. How much of the Preliminary Physics course is actually used in the HSC (that is actually needed)? Do you have to know motion, waves and all the rest, or just motion? Would really help me out, thanks!

Would i have to know the preliminary course to get a very good mark for the subject, or does it or it really focus on the year 12 stuff?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
lemon1 said:
Hey guys! I have a question about the HSC. How much of the Preliminary Physics course is actually used in the HSC (that is actually needed)? Do you have to know motion, waves and all the rest, or just motion? Would really help me out, thanks!

Would i have to know the preliminary course to get a very good mark for the subject, or does it or it really focus on the year 12 stuff?

Thanks!

Some things carry on, but most of the stuff is different. Everything from Prelim that you need for the HSC is covered again but quicker just to refresh it for yourself.

I do advise trying to understand your Prelim Physics quite well though!

Related to HSC Physics: How Much of Preliminary Course is Needed?

1. How much of the preliminary course in HSC Physics is necessary to understand the advanced course?

The preliminary course in HSC Physics covers fundamental concepts and principles that are essential for understanding the advanced course. It is recommended to have a strong understanding of the entire preliminary course before moving on to the advanced course.

2. Can I skip certain topics in the preliminary course and still do well in the advanced course?

It is not advisable to skip topics in the preliminary course as they are all interconnected and build upon each other. Skipping topics may result in gaps in your understanding and make it difficult to grasp advanced concepts.

3. How can I best prepare for the advanced course if I struggled with the preliminary course?

If you struggled with the preliminary course, it is important to review the topics and seek help from your teacher or a tutor. You can also try different study methods such as making flashcards, practicing with past papers, or studying in a group to reinforce your understanding.

4. Is it necessary to revise the preliminary course before starting the advanced course?

Yes, it is recommended to revise the preliminary course before starting the advanced course. This will help refresh your memory and ensure that you have a strong foundation before moving on to more complex concepts.

5. Are there any specific topics in the preliminary course that are particularly important for the advanced course?

All topics in the preliminary course are important for the advanced course, but some of the key concepts that are often revisited include motion, forces, energy, waves, and electricity. It is important to have a thorough understanding of these topics before moving on to the advanced course.