Hyperconjugation and electromeric effect

• Thread starter Karan Punjabi
  • Start date
In summary: The presence of CH3- groups is one reason why the addition of H+ to the 2 position is more likely to occur than the addition of H+ to the 3 position.
Karan Punjabi
As we know in unsymmetric alkenes as a reagent approaches towards it a pi bond is shifted towards an constituent atom so these decisions are governed with the help of inductive effects...correct? So my question is can we govern this shifting on the basis of hyperconjugation...like a constituent containing less no. Of hyperconjugates will be negatively charged as reagent approaches. Please correct me if am wrong .Thankyou

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Karan Punjabi said:
So my question is can we govern this shifting on the basis of hyperconjugation
Hyperconjugation is basically an inductive effect, so it works just like any other inductive effects in that it pushes the electron density on an alkene around. In fact, this is one way to think about Markovnikov addition. For example, if HBr attacks isobutylene, the H+ preferentially forms a bond with the less substituted carbon because the resulting tertiary carbocation is stabilized by hyperconjugation (sigma orbitals on the methyl groups donating electron density into the empty carbon p orbital).

TeethWhitener said:
Hyperconjugation is basically an inductive effect, so it works just like any other inductive effects in that it pushes the electron density on an alkene around. In fact, this is one way to think about Markovnikov addition. For example, if HBr attacks isobutylene, the H+ preferentially forms a bond with the less substituted carbon because the resulting tertiary carbocation is stabilized by hyperconjugation (sigma orbitals on the methyl groups donating electron density into the empty carbon p orbital).
Ohk i got it...but I'm confused in a case that when an alkene named as4,4-dimethyl pent-2-ene is treated with HCl(markovnikov's addition) then where will H+ ion attacks more that means on which carbon atom has the most probability of getting negative charge. As there are three electron donating methyl groups and the opposing it are three hyperconjugates H atoms. Please refer to structure and answer. Thankyou

Karan Punjabi said:
Ohk i got it...but I'm confused in a case that when an alkene named as4,4-dimethyl pent-2-ene is treated with HCl(markovnikov's addition) then where will H+ ion attacks more that means on which carbon atom has the most probability of getting negative charge. As there are three electron donating methyl groups and the opposing it are three hyperconjugates H atoms. Please refer to structure and answer. Thankyou
Sorry, I'm having a little bit of trouble understanding what you're asking. You'll have to bear with me. Are you asking what the major Markovnikov product of HCl with 4,4-dimethyl-2-pentene is?

If so, then I would guess the favored product would put the H at the 2 position and the Cl at the 3 position (3-chloro-4,4-dimethylpentane) because larger alkyl groups tend to be more electron donating than smaller ones. But in reality, upon addition of H+ at either the 2 or 3 position, the resulting intermediate will have a secondary carbocation, and I doubt the two possible species will have vastly different stabilities. So it probably won't make that much of a difference (in other words, expect the difference in yield between major and minor product to be smaller than in a case like isobutylene).

As far as the hyperconjugation question is concerned: Hyperconjugation happens when a sigma bond partially aligns with an adjacent pi bond, thereby stabilizing it. (This can also occur to some extent with σ* antibonds.) Because of the geometry of the methyl group, you can only ever line up one C-H sigma bond at a time with an adjacent pi bond. So both the 2 and the 3 position only really each have 1 hyperconjugated C-H bond.

TeethWhitener said:
Sorry, I'm having a little bit of trouble understanding what you're asking. You'll have to bear with me. Are you asking what the major Markovnikov product of HCl with 4,4-dimethyl-2-pentene is?

If so, then I would guess the favored product would put the H at the 2 position and the Cl at the 3 position (3-chloro-4,4-dimethylpentane) because larger alkyl groups tend to be more electron donating than smaller ones. But in reality, upon addition of H+ at either the 2 or 3 position, the resulting intermediate will have a secondary carbocation, and I doubt the two possible species will have vastly different stabilities. So it probably won't make that much of a difference (in other words, expect the difference in yield between major and minor product to be smaller than in a case like isobutylene).

As far as the hyperconjugation question is concerned: Hyperconjugation happens when a sigma bond partially aligns with an adjacent pi bond, thereby stabilizing it. (This can also occur to some extent with σ* antibonds.) Because of the geometry of the methyl group, you can only ever line up one C-H sigma bond at a time with an adjacent pi bond. So both the 2 and the 3 position only really each have 1 hyperconjugated C-H bond.
So you say here the presence of CH3- groups are reason for the addition if H+ ion on 2 position hence here it dominates over the hyperconjugation effect. Am i correct?

Karan Punjabi said:
So you say here the presence of CH3- groups are reason for the addition if H+ ion on 2 position hence here it dominates over the hyperconjugation effect. Am i correct?
I'm saying that
1) There's probably not that much difference between addition at the 2 position and addition at the 3 position,
2) but if I had to guess, I'd say that the 3 position was the more stable carbocation because of electron-donating inductive effects from the larger alkyl group.
But I don't have the data to tell you conclusively which is the major product.

TeethWhitener said:
I'm saying that
1) There's probably not that much difference between addition at the 2 position and addition at the 3 position,
2) but if I had to guess, I'd say that the 3 position was the more stable carbocation because of electron-donating inductive effects from the larger alkyl group.
But I don't have the data to tell you conclusively which is the major product.
Ohk...thank you so much for clearing my doubt

Related to Hyperconjugation and electromeric effect

1. What is hyperconjugation and how does it affect molecular stability?

Hyperconjugation is a phenomenon in organic chemistry where the delocalization of electrons through sigma bonds leads to increased stability in a molecule. This occurs when a sigma bond overlaps with an adjacent empty or partially filled orbital, allowing for the delocalization of electrons and stabilizing the molecule.

2. How does hyperconjugation differ from resonance?

Hyperconjugation and resonance both involve the delocalization of electrons, but they differ in the types of bonds involved. Hyperconjugation involves the delocalization of electrons through sigma bonds, while resonance involves the delocalization of electrons through pi bonds.

3. What is the role of hyperconjugation in determining the acidity of a compound?

Hyperconjugation can play a significant role in determining the acidity of a compound. The greater the number of hyperconjugative structures, the more stable the molecule is and the more acidic it becomes. This is because the delocalization of electrons through sigma bonds can help to stabilize the negative charge on the conjugate base.

4. How does the electromeric effect differ from the inductive effect?

The inductive effect is a permanent shift of electrons in a sigma bond, while the electromeric effect is a temporary shift of electrons in a sigma bond due to the presence of an adjacent atom or group. Additionally, the inductive effect is a result of differences in electronegativity, while the electromeric effect is a result of differences in electron density.

5. Can hyperconjugation and the electromeric effect be observed in all types of molecules?

Yes, hyperconjugation and the electromeric effect can be observed in all types of molecules. However, the extent to which these effects are present may vary depending on the molecular structure and the substituents attached to the molecule.