Hypotheses, theories, laws and principles?

In summary, principles are fundamental laws or assumptions that can be descriptive or normative in nature, and they are often used interchangeably with the term "law". The difference in names may simply be a matter of preference or context. Hooke's Law is an example of a principle in physics that describes the relationship between a spring's elasticity and the force applied to it.
wrongusername
I had this discussion about the differences between hypotheses, theories, and laws in my physical science class today, and I suddenly remembered the principles I had learned about in physics (e.g. Bernoulli's principle, Pauli exclusion principle). I was curious how principles fit into this whole hypotheses/theories/laws thing, but unfortunately the teacher thought I was talking about values (like the principles scientists work by) and I couldn't quite explain what I was talking about. So can somebody please clarify this for me? :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
wrongusername said:
I had this discussion about the differences between hypotheses, theories, and laws in my physical science class today, and I suddenly remembered the principles I had learned about in physics (e.g. Bernoulli's principle, Pauli exclusion principle). I was curious how principles fit into this whole hypotheses/theories/laws thing, but unfortunately the teacher thought I was talking about values (like the principles scientists work by) and I couldn't quite explain what I was talking about. So can somebody please clarify this for me? :smile:
This is probably the answer you are looking for.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistry101/a/lawtheory.htm

Don't forget Hooke's Law which is about as rigid as the springs it touches upon.

I think 'principle' is interchangeable with 'law' in most cases.

Tinyboss said:
Wikipedia has a decent discussion on it.

A principle is one of several things: (a) a descriptive comprehensive and fundamental law, doctrine, or assumption; (b) a normative rule or code of conduct, and (c) a law or fact of nature underlying the working of an artificial device.

Principle as scientific law
Laws Physics. Laws Statistics. Laws Biological. Laws of nature are those that can not be proven explicitly, however we can measure and quantify them observing the results that they produce.

Pulled from the Wikipedia page. So are principles "fundamental" laws or, as Jimmy said, usually "just" laws?

Why do they have different names then?

Jimmy Snyder said:
Don't forget Hooke's Law which is about as rigid as the springs it touches upon.

How would this fit into the discussion about principles? Just wondering.

Related to Hypotheses, theories, laws and principles?

1. What is the difference between a hypothesis and a theory?

A hypothesis is an educated guess or prediction about the relationship between variables. It is an idea that has not yet been proven and requires testing and evidence. A theory, on the other hand, is a well-supported and widely accepted explanation of a natural phenomenon, based on a large body of evidence. In other words, a hypothesis is a tentative explanation, while a theory is a comprehensive explanation.

2. How is a law different from a theory?

A law is a statement that describes a natural phenomenon or pattern, based on repeated experiments and observations. It is a broad generalization that is universally accepted and has been extensively tested. In contrast, a theory is an explanation of why a natural phenomenon occurs. A law describes what happens, while a theory explains why it happens.

3. Can a hypothesis become a theory?

Yes, a hypothesis can potentially become a theory if it is extensively tested and supported by a large body of evidence. As more evidence is gathered, a hypothesis may be refined and eventually become a well-supported and accepted theory.

4. What role do principles play in science?

Principles are basic, fundamental truths or laws that govern a specific natural phenomenon or process. They provide a framework for understanding and explaining the natural world. Principles are often used to guide scientific investigations and can help to form hypotheses and theories.

5. How do scientists use hypotheses, theories, laws, and principles in their research?

Scientists use hypotheses to guide their research and make predictions about the outcomes of experiments. They use theories to explain and understand natural phenomena and laws to describe patterns or relationships observed in nature. Principles are used as a foundation for scientific understanding and are often used to guide the development and testing of hypotheses and theories.