I am having trouble finding trig derivatives using chain rule

In summary, the student is trying to find the derivative of \cot^2(\cos \theta) and realizes that they did not put a space between [-csc^2 and cos theta) which caused the homework program not to like the answer.
bblair3

Homework Statement

cot^2(Cos[itex]\theta[/itex])

Homework Equations

chain rule
f prime (x) = f prime(g(x) * g prime (x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure if I am just inputting the wrong numbers into webassign or I am just missing and important trig derivative and just completely off of the boat here.

the answer I got the first time is:
-2 cot(cos[itex]\theta[/itex])*[-csc^2 (cos[itex]\theta[/itex]) *-sin[itex]\theta[/itex])

thanks for any help you guys can give me

Physics news on Phys.org
Pretty close, you have an extra minus sign, that's all. How'd you arrive at that negative out in front?

It looks like using the example I was looking at I distributed one extra negative sign

I think there is one more step that I am lost on. I ended up getting 2 cos theta *cot(cos theta) *csc^2(-sin theta), which webassign did not like :( ahhhh

You had the answer above already, with the exception of the extra minus sign.

To clarify, the question is:

What is the derivative of [itex]\cot^2(\cos \theta)[/itex]?

You have already answered it above... how did you arrive at the second post?

yes, the question you have is right.
I worked the problem by looking at an example video that comes with our online book.
the instructor in the video further broke down from the answer in the sample problem, which was cot^2(sin theta), which the answer is -2cos theta * cot(sin theta) *csc^2 (sin theta)

oh i see what I did wrong! apparently the homework program did not like that I did not put a space between [-csc^2 and cos theta) wow here I was thinking I did not know what I was doing and it was just an input error, not a mathematical error! Got to love technology sometimes!

Glad to hear you got it.

thanks for the quick replies! sometimes it just takes a "fresh set of eyes" to say hey what are you doing there!

Related to I am having trouble finding trig derivatives using chain rule

1. What is the chain rule in calculus?

The chain rule is a formula used to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function evaluated at the inner function, multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. How do I apply the chain rule to find trig derivatives?

To apply the chain rule to find trig derivatives, you first need to identify the inner and outer functions. Then, you can use the chain rule formula to find the derivative. For trig functions, remember to use the derivative rules for trig functions, such as the derivative of sine is cosine, and the derivative of cosine is negative sine.

3. Can you provide an example of using the chain rule to find a trig derivative?

Sure, let's say we want to find the derivative of f(x) = cos(2x). The outer function is cosine, and the inner function is 2x. Using the chain rule, we get f'(x) = -sin(2x) * 2 = -2sin(2x).

4. What is the most common mistake when using the chain rule to find trig derivatives?

The most common mistake is forgetting to apply the derivative rules for trig functions. For example, some may mistakenly use the derivative of cosine as 1 instead of -sin(x).

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in finding trig derivatives using the chain rule?

You can practice by solving various examples and exercises that involve finding trig derivatives using the chain rule. You can also use online resources or textbooks that provide practice problems and solutions. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or participating in study groups can also improve your skills in this area.