I and fast please pup tent problem

• Thread starter hagarm2008
  • Start date
In summary: So you are trying to minimize (1/2)(2bh+ lb+ 2lc). As a preface to the summary of the conversation, it seems that the person is struggling with a calculus project involving pup tents. They need to find the maximum area for a given volume, but they are unsure of how to approach the problem and keep hitting dead ends. They also seem to be feeling a lot of pressure due to the importance of the project for their high school career. In summary, the conversation revolves around a calculus project involving pup tents. The person is trying to find the maximum area for a given volume, but they are unsure of how to approach the problem and feeling pressure due to the project's importance. They
hagarm2008
I really need help. my whole high school career rides on this prject,

In calculus we are doing a project using pup tents.

the pup tent is made with two equilateral triangles on each side

and a rectangular base.

the volume is 2.2 m^3

i need to find maximum area

for volume i used (1/2)blh

for area i used. (1/2)bh+(1/2)bh+3(lb)

i don't know what to do i keep finding dead ends.

please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

Firstly, get that thinking of your whole high school career riding on one project out of your head. It doesn't. That kind of thinking will just stress you out, and cloud your mind.

Secondly, what exactly do you mean by 'area'? Do you mean you're trying to maximize the amount of space on the ground that the tent occupies? If you could, please re-state the problem exactly as given. Is there another constraint (ie, does the tent need to fit -people- inside)?

Lastly, for a pup tent, your volume formula seems a little off. Have you drawn a picture? If you're having trouble, I would suggest first drawing a picture of an equilateral triangle (are you envisioning an equilateral triangle at each end of the tent)? Then two triangles connected in a tent fashion. What do you know about the height of an equilateral triangle, compared to the length of a side?

Edit: Volume formula probably fine, I was thinking of a different b (b = a/2 where a length of bottom)-- old habit I suppose.

Last edited:
hagarm2008 said:
I really need help. my whole high school career rides on this prject,

In calculus we are doing a project using pup tents.

the pup tent is made with two equilateral triangles on each side

and a rectangular base.

the volume is 2.2 m^3

i need to find maximum area

for volume i used (1/2)blh

for area i used. (1/2)bh+(1/2)bh+3(lb)

i don't know what to do i keep finding dead ends.

please help me.
As dotman said, it would have been helpful to say area of WHAT! You last equation doesn't help a lot. The 2 (1/2)bh terms are, of course, the area of the two ends. But 3(lb) is not any area of the tent.

I THINK you are trying to minimize the total area of the material used to make the tent. That includes the 2 ends as you have, the base (most put tents I have seen did NOT have a bottom, but okay) which would be lb, and the two "slant" sides- which are NOT "lb". The two slant sides each have area lc where c is the hypotenuse of the right triangle with legs of length h and b/2.

Related to I and fast please pup tent problem

1. What is the "I and fast please pup tent problem"?

The "I and fast please pup tent problem" is a hypothetical scenario used in cognitive psychology to study problem-solving strategies. It involves a person trying to assemble a pup tent in a hurry, with limited instructions and without any previous experience.

2. Why is the "I and fast please pup tent problem" important in cognitive psychology?

This problem allows researchers to observe how individuals approach a novel and challenging task, how they utilize their problem-solving skills, and how they adjust their strategies as they encounter difficulties. It also provides insights into the cognitive processes involved in problem-solving.

3. What are some common strategies used to solve the "I and fast please pup tent problem"?

Some common strategies observed in this problem include trial and error, using prior knowledge, breaking down the problem into smaller parts, and seeking help from others. Individuals may also use visualization, analogy, or heuristics to solve the problem.

4. How does the "I and fast please pup tent problem" relate to real-life situations?

This problem can be seen as a simplified version of real-life challenges where individuals have to solve problems with limited resources, time constraints, and ambiguous instructions. It can provide insights into problem-solving skills that are applicable in various fields, such as engineering, business, and everyday life.

5. How can the "I and fast please pup tent problem" be applied in education?

This problem can be used as an educational tool to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills in students. By presenting them with a challenging and unfamiliar task, it can help them learn how to approach and solve problems effectively, think creatively, and persist in the face of difficulties.