I can't figure out what field I should study

KittyPaine
I'm looking at Computer Science and IT but I'd like to narrow it down. As far as I can tell CS is programming software, IT delves into different areas of technology.

I thought about accounting but I struggled with advanced mathematics and I also thought about database management, but what course would that be exactly? So confused.

I want a job that involves working with computers, not programming new software but working with existing software. Something that can lead a job in the short term. Ex. A course that can lead to a job upon completion.

EDIT: Database Management seems to be something I could do, just not sure what course to study.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
KittyPaine said:
I want a job that involves working with computers, not programming new software but working with existing software. Something that can lead a job in the short term
I suggest IT or database management.

Likes gwnorth

Related to I can't figure out what field I should study

1. What are my interests and passions?

When trying to figure out what field to study, it's important to consider what subjects or activities you are most passionate about. Reflect on what topics excite you and what you enjoy doing in your free time. Your interests can guide you towards a field of study that you will find fulfilling and engaging.

2. What are my strengths and skills?

Assessing your strengths and skills can help narrow down potential fields of study. Consider what you excel at and what comes naturally to you. Your abilities can point you towards a field that aligns with your strengths, allowing you to thrive and succeed in your studies.

3. What career goals do I have?

Thinking about your long-term career goals can provide direction when choosing a field of study. Consider what type of job you envision yourself in the future and what qualifications are needed to pursue that career. Aligning your studies with your career goals can set you on the right path towards achieving your aspirations.

4. What impact do I want to make?

Reflecting on the impact you want to make in the world can help guide your choice of field to study. Consider what issues or causes are important to you and how you can contribute to making a difference. Choosing a field that aligns with your values and goals can provide a sense of purpose and fulfillment in your studies.

5. What resources and opportunities are available?

Researching the resources and opportunities available in different fields of study can help you make an informed decision. Explore the academic programs, research opportunities, internships, and career paths associated with various fields. Gathering information about the resources and opportunities in different fields can help you choose a field that offers the support and growth opportunities you need to succeed.