I need advice with my Discrete Structures class

In summary, the student is having problems with his Discrete Structures class and feels like he is at a disadvantage because of it. He is considering dropping the class, but is also considering trying to make up for the test score with extra homework.
cannibal
I need advice with my "Discrete Structures" class

Hi everyone, I'm a sophomore undergraduate student at the Polytechnic University Of Puerto Rico, currently majoring in "Computer Engineering", for the record this university works by trimesters. I'm currently getting a bit frustrated with my "Discrete Structures or Discrete Mathematics" class i started very well with a 24/30 on my first test, and i have 10/10 in all homework's, but... in the second test i failed miserably with a 8/30 :frown: which is really frustrating. My last test is on May 14, and even with a 30/30 i will get a C in the class which will probably take me out of the honor program. I do not know what to do, if drop it or try to get as close to a B and hope the professor give me 1 - 3 points which is what i need to arrive the B.

In this class:

Each test = 30% of the final grade
Homework's = 10% of the final grade

Any advice is appreciated. I would like to mention that I'm only having problems with this class in all the other classes "Calculus II, Physics I - Mechanics + Lab., Comp Programming I + Lab." i have A in all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Whoever told me Discrete Mathematics was going to be easy lied! Well, in all seriousness, I'm not sure how it is at your school, but at the one I attend the professor expected A LOT from their students. Its like if you couldn't prove Fermat's Last Theorem in 30 minutes, you failed... naturally were like 5 students left at the end of the semester & half of those students failed.

You could drop, but I think most transfer colleges know a W=F. Though it would save your GPA & protect you from getting kicked from your honors program. A W is slightly better than an F. One C isn't going to hurt you too much if you've got all other As.

Talk to your profesor and ask him if there is anything you can do to make up for that test, like an extra assignment, a paper, something like that. Let him know you care about the class but your grade is really important also as you are in honors.
An extra assignment could give you just what you need to get a B

Thanks both for the advice, as kuahji say the class is no easy and the professor the first day said that he expected a lot from us since we work by trimesters the class goes very fast, we started in March 4 and we almost covered the whole "Schaum's Outlines in Discrete Mathematics book" there's only like 3 chapters left, the class theory book is "Discrete Mathematics and its Applications by Rosen". Also the professor said that at the end only about 10 will remain, which from what I'm seeing is going to be true, my class started with 35 students, today there was around 18 - 22 people in the class room.

Well today i was talking with some people of the class about asking the professor for an extra assignment since the average of the test was 15/30 which means most of the class failed in the test. We are going to make a petition next class to the professor for an extra 5 or 10 points homework for bonus. :D Let's see what happens i decide i won't drop out, and i will try to get a 26 or 28/30 in next test to get as close to the B as possible, at least I'm very clear with the material for next test :D.

I hate Rosen's book personally.

Vid said:
I hate Rosen's book personally.

I hate it too, but i love the Schaum's outline, i use outlines for every class except programming lol. :approve:

Related to I need advice with my Discrete Structures class

1. What is Discrete Structures?

Discrete Structures is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete objects, such as integers and graphs, and their properties and relationships. It is an important foundation for computer science and other fields, as it provides the fundamental concepts and tools for studying discrete systems.

2. What topics are typically covered in a Discrete Structures class?

A Discrete Structures class usually covers topics such as set theory, logic, proof techniques, combinatorics, graph theory, and algorithms. These topics are essential for understanding and solving problems in computer science, engineering, and other related fields.

3. How can I improve my understanding of Discrete Structures?

To improve your understanding of Discrete Structures, it is important to actively engage with the material and practice solving problems. You can also seek help from your professor or classmates, use online resources such as tutorials and practice exercises, and attend study groups or tutoring sessions.

4. What are some common challenges students face in Discrete Structures?

Some common challenges students face in Discrete Structures include understanding abstract concepts, applying proof techniques, and solving complex problems. It is important to stay organized, attend lectures and study sessions, and seek help when needed.

5. How can I prepare for exams in my Discrete Structures class?

To prepare for exams in your Discrete Structures class, it is important to review your notes and understanding of key concepts, practice solving problems, and seek clarification on any topics you may be struggling with. It is also helpful to study in a group and use practice exams or study guides provided by your professor.