I need help choosing my undergrad physics school please

In summary, the conversation discusses the choice of college for a physics major and the person's interest in pursuing graduate school after graduation. They mention three schools - Rutgers, Stony Brook, and Rensselaer - and inquire about their differences at the undergraduate level. The speaker, who was a former grad student at Rensselaer, suggests Rensselaer as a good option for teaching undergraduates in physics. They also mention the availability of courses such as math 2400 and physics 2210 in the first semester.
bluehibiscus
with scholarships making the costs relatively the same, which college would you choose for physics major - rutgers, stonybrook or rensselaer? bs in physics, not engineering. don't want to choose research interest area just yet but likely interested in grad school more than industry right after graduating. scored 5 in ap physics 1 and expecting 5's in ap physics c and ap calc bc. not finding enough info in regular college threads on physics depts. is there much difference at the undergraduate level? will any of these be just as fine as the others?

Physics news on Phys.org
I was a grad student at RPI in the 80's and things may have changed since then. However, the undergrads at RPI (Rensselaer) were getting into Cal-Tech, chosen over MIT by one grad student, Texas, Colorado, and one grad student transferred to MIT, and others were accepted at most every good grad school in the country in physics. Rutgers and Stony Brook are ranked in US news higher, and may be able to say the same thing concerning their grads. Again, things are certainly not the same as 45 years ago.

All schools on your list are good for teaching undergraduates, physics.

• Wow
Likes gwnorth