Ideal Gas Law Car TIre Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the inflation of an automobile tire with air, originally at 10C and normal atmospheric pressure. The air is compressed to 28% of its original volume and the temperature is increased to 40C. Using the equation Pinitial/Tinitial=Pfinal/Tfinal, the tire pressure is calculated to be 400kPa. After the car is driven at high speed, the tire air temperature rises to 85C and the interior volume of the tire increases by 2%. Using the same equation and incorporating the 2% factor, the new tire pressure is calculated to be 449kPa.
atelaphobia
here's another one that stumped me

An automobile tire is inflated with air originally at 10C and normal atmospheric pressure. During the process the air is compressed to 28% of its original volume and the temperature is increased to 40C.
a) what is the tire pressure?
b) after the car is driven at high speed the tire air temperature rises to 85C and the interior volume of the tire increases by 2%. what is the new tire pressure (absolute) in pascals?

the only reason why i don't know how to start this problem is because i don't know what is the initial pressure. all it says is "normal atmospheric pressure" :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
ok i got the first part
a)

Pinitial/T initial=Pfinal/Tfinal

normal pressure= 1atm= 101.325kPa
convert temps into Kelvins
T initial= 283.15
Tfinal= 313.15

SO...

101.325/283.15=P(.28)/313.15

P= 400kPa

but now i don't know how to get the second one
I know the answer for b is 449 kPa

Last edited:
i think i solved the second part but tell me if this makes sense at all!

the temp rises to 85C (359.15 K) and tire increases volume by 2%

so using the numbers from part A with the same equation

400/313.15=P/358.15
solve for P=457.726 BUT it's saying the volume of the tire increased by 2%
so... 2% of 457.726 is 9.154

since we got to incorporate the 2% factor i subtracted 457.726-9.154
gave me 448.57 which is 449kPa

now did i do that right??

Related to Ideal Gas Law Car TIre Problem

What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and the number of moles of a gas. It is often used to calculate the properties of gases under different conditions.

How does the Ideal Gas Law apply to car tires?

The Ideal Gas Law can be used to calculate the pressure inside a car tire, given the volume, temperature, and number of moles of air inside. This is important for maintaining proper tire inflation, which can affect the handling, fuel efficiency, and overall safety of a vehicle.

What are the units used in the Ideal Gas Law?

The units used in the Ideal Gas Law depend on the specific application, but commonly used units include pressure (P) in kilopascals (kPa), volume (V) in liters (L), temperature (T) in Kelvin (K), and the number of moles (n) in moles (mol).

What is the ideal gas constant?

The ideal gas constant (R) is a proportionality constant in the Ideal Gas Law that relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas. It has a value of 0.08206 L·atm/mol·K in standard units, but can be expressed in different units depending on the application.

What are some limitations of the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law assumes that the gas particles do not have any volume and do not interact with each other. This may not be the case in real gases, especially at high pressures and low temperatures. Additionally, the Ideal Gas Law is only accurate for ideal gases, which do not exist in the real world.