If the height of the water slide is h = 3.2m and the person's initial

In summary: Then, you can use the equation for potential energy to find the energy at each point. If the height of the water slide is h = 3.2m and the person's initial speed at point A (at the top of slide) is 0.54m/s, at what location does the swimmer splash down in the pool?In summary, this problem asks for the velocity of a swimmer at the bottom of a water slide. If the height of the water slide is h = 3.2m and the person's initial speed at point A (at the top of slide) is 0.54m/s, then at what location does the swimmer splash down in the pool? The answer
Cody
"If the height of the water slide is h = 3.2m and the person's initial speed at point A (at the top of slide) is 0.54m/s, at what location does the swimmer splash down in the pool?"

I saw a thread with the same question back from 2005 but it is now closed.
I understand that you have to use conservation of energy at point A and at the bottom of the slide to find velocity at the bottom of the slide, then use the formula x = v√2y/g.

I am however confused with the following:
Why can I not substitute the exact values for h into the formula i.e
mgh + 1/2 mv^2 = mgh + 1/2 mv^2
since it is known, but rather have to use h-1.50(for the bottom) and 1.50(for the top)

Hope someone understands what I am asking.
Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cody said:
I am however confused with the following:
Why can I not substitute the exact values for h into the formula i.e
mgh + 1/2 mv^2 = mgh + 1/2 mv^2
since it is known, but rather have to use h-1.50(for the bottom) and 1.50(for the top)
You need to provide a diagram (or simply a link to the original problem). Or at least describe the slide in more detail.

What matters when calculating the velocity at the bottom of the slide is Δh. So as long as you get that right, your proposed method should work fine.

You can use any point as your reference level, where y = 0.

Found out how to attach a link. here's the picture

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 828
Last edited:
Find the change in potential energy from the top of the slide to the bottom. Use this to find the final speed of the girl.

We can worry about where she lands afterwards.

Cody said:
Found out how to attach a link. here's the picture
Good.

Cody said:
but rather have to use h-1.50(for the bottom) and 1.50(for the top)
I have no idea why you think you have to use this (which is wrong, by the way).

The diagram shows the height of the bottom of the slide to be 1.50 m; the height at the top is that plus an additional "h".

This is the solution I have. If I substitute the exact values for h (i.e. 1.50 at the bottom of the slide and 3.2 at the top), I don't get the same answer. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or if you just cannot substitute the exact values for h into your equation, but rather have to use h+1.50 and h.

Attachments

• Picture2.png
    Picture2.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,415
Cody said:
This is the solution I have. If I substitute the exact values for h (i.e. 1.50 at the bottom of the slide and 3.2 at the top), I don't get the same answer. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or if you just cannot substitute the exact values for h into your equation, but rather have to use h+1.50 and h.
I think you are getting confused about the meaning of "h" in this problem. Here, h is simply the change in height of the slide from top to bottom; h is not the distance from the top of the slide to the water level.

In your formula for potential energy, use ##mgy## instead of ##mgh##, where "y" is the vertical position measured from the water level. ##y_A## ≠ 3.2. (h = 3.2)

Your first job is to figure out what ##y_A## and ##y_B## equal.

Related to If the height of the water slide is h = 3.2m and the person's initial

1. What is the formula for calculating the speed of a person descending a water slide?

The formula for calculating the speed of a person descending a water slide is v = √(2gh), where v is the speed in meters per second, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height of the water slide in meters.

2. How does the height of the water slide affect the speed of the person?

The height of the water slide has a direct effect on the speed of the person descending it. The higher the slide, the greater the potential energy and the faster the person will descend due to the force of gravity.

3. Is there a maximum speed a person can reach on a water slide?

Yes, there is a maximum speed a person can reach on a water slide. This is determined by the height of the slide, as well as any friction or resistance present on the slide. In most cases, the maximum speed will be slightly less than the theoretical speed calculated using the formula.

4. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken into consideration when designing a water slide?

Yes, safety precautions should always be taken into consideration when designing a water slide. The height, slope, and curve of the slide should be carefully planned to ensure that the speed of the person is not too fast or dangerous. Additionally, measures such as safety barriers, lifeguards, and proper signage should be in place to prevent accidents.

5. How can the speed of a person on a water slide be increased?

The speed of a person on a water slide can be increased by increasing the height of the slide, reducing friction and resistance on the slide, and reducing the weight of the person going down the slide. However, safety should always be the top priority and any changes to increase speed should be carefully considered and tested.