Imaginary Geometry in Control Systems

In summary, Brandon was not sure what to expect from the upcoming control systems exam, but he was able to find help after asking around. He was able to find the root locus equation and use that information to solve for the Laplace Transform of the function.
brobertson89
So I have a control systems mid-semester exam coming up and the lecturer has posted up a formula sheet for us. However it is different to past years exams and has a geometry section with the following equations:

e^(±jθ)=cos(θ)±jsin(θ)
cos(θ)=(e^jθ+e^-jθ)/2
sin(θ)=(e^jθ-e^-jθ)/2j

Now I've seen these equations once before, however not in this course. In fact I have gone over every lecture, every tutorial, every practical and even the textbook looking for where these equations might be used and I can't find anything. So I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what I should be ready for.

Cheers,

Brandon:approve:

Engineering news on Phys.org
oscillatory systems?

Maybe root locus. I know that is in the imaginary plane, but I don't ever remember using those equtions, althought its entirely possible to do so.

wsabol said:
Maybe root locus. I know that is in the imaginary plane, but I don't ever remember using those equtions, althought its entirely possible to do so.

Those equations are the fundamental basis of oscillatory systems theory. Over damped systems have a real solution only. Under damped systems have a real and imaginary solution. How does an imaginary solution create an oscillatory system? See the OP's equations. Those equations are basic equations found in any Diff Eq course and should be fundamental to any engineer (control systems especially).

viscousflow said:
Those equations are the fundamental basis of oscillatory systems theory. Over damped systems have a real solution only. Under damped systems have a real and imaginary solution. How does an imaginary solution create an oscillatory system? See the OP's equations. Those equations are basic equations found in any Diff Eq course and should be fundamental to any engineer (control systems especially).

Yes, I know that. But specifically for root locus problems, I don't recall using those equations.

I doubt his prof will require a FULL derivation of simple harmonic motion from the EOMs. I think the presumption that

A*ejwt + B*e-jwt
equals
C*sin(wt) + D*cos(wt)

is pretty standard. You don't have to show the gory details.

Last edited:
So it turns out that it was not too hard in the end, I was given a transfer function with a quadratic equation in the denominator and then asked to place it into partial fraction form. I was then asked to find the Laplace Transform of the function and as the roots of the quadratic were imaginary numbers I used those equations.

Thank you for the help though, I appreciate it.

Related to Imaginary Geometry in Control Systems

1. What is imaginary geometry in control systems?

Imaginary geometry in control systems is a mathematical approach to analyzing and designing control systems using complex numbers and the imaginary plane. It is based on the concept of representing signals and systems as points and vectors in the complex plane.

2. How is imaginary geometry used in control systems?

Imaginary geometry is used to analyze the stability, performance, and robustness of control systems. It allows engineers to visualize and understand the behavior of complex systems in a simpler way, and to design controllers that meet specific performance requirements.

3. What are the benefits of using imaginary geometry in control systems?

Using imaginary geometry in control systems can lead to more efficient and effective control system designs. It allows for a deeper understanding of system behavior and can help identify potential issues or limitations. It also provides a graphical representation that can aid in visualizing and explaining complex concepts.

4. Can imaginary geometry be applied to all control systems?

Yes, imaginary geometry can be applied to all types of control systems, including continuous-time, discrete-time, linear, and nonlinear systems. It is a versatile tool that can be adapted to various types of systems and control problems.

5. Are there any limitations to using imaginary geometry in control systems?

While imaginary geometry is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It is primarily applicable to linear systems and may not be as effective for analyzing highly nonlinear systems. Additionally, it requires a solid understanding of complex numbers and their properties to be used effectively.